Craynerds Planted Tank Mk.2

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

when i planted my hairgrass i chopped it down to 2cm high.

I once added a piece of wood to my tank and within a day or two there was a white 'growth' on it. It looked like a cross between algae and fungus. I left it in place and it gradually faded over a week or so. That was after treating the wood in boiling water to remove some tanins too. It could be something like that. I can't recall hearing of white algae though.

WK

that stuff just floats around and looks like sea thru white slimey rice pasta or something.

its weird. i have a bit of that floating about in my tank.

OMG the tank look amazing! Good job!

Can we have some closer pics? or more clear ones

if you did'nt want tannins, you should have soaked it for as long as possible before the tank was begun. Your going to have to deal with a few weeks of yellow water now :D

Activated carbon filtration and big water changes (that you already plan) will help clear the water if it's a problem. My only worry would be less light but it shouldn't be an issue unless the tannins tint the water excessively.

I would think he means that if the tannins are really staining your water, your light levels would be reduced, possibly harming your higher light plants since the light won't get through the discolouration.

My only worry would be less light but it shouldn't be an issue unless the tannins tint the water excessively.

George, you mind explaining this in more detail.
I would think he means that if the tannins are really staining your water, your light levels would be reduced, possibly harming your higher light plants since the light won't get through the discolouration.
Without touching the keyboard. Thanks Jen.

Ahh wow, got you now! Yes no way are the tannins that deep/strong in colour. They are just lightly turning the water a yellowish colour.

Actually, last few days the staining has been less.

Chris

lol, BWBettas, your problem is easily solved, BUY SOME MORE!!

Qays, exadurated slightly. ;) still more than any other wood i have ever used.

Certainly stopping now slowly.

I am adding JBL denerile (sp? and not got bottle to hand) and so i have added 15 amano shrimp. With another 10 coming next week.

Regards
Chris

Well, its time to show you another photo and update you a bit more.

Like i said, i replanted the hairgrass like george and jen recommended. Looks much better now.

Also not touched anything with a pair of scissors (other than hairgrass) since starting it so the rotala is already looking a bit wild. The other rotala species are now coming on very well and look much brighter and thicker.
Crypts old leaves are dieing off and new ones are forming.

All looking ok and going to plan.

Been doing 20-30% water changes daily during this first few days, especially with me replanting the hairgrass and kicking up AS dust.

CO2 has been dropped to 2bpm while the shrimps are getting use to it, i`ll bring this up to 4bps over the next few days.

White stuff i was talking about previously has gone. Must have just been a fungus or something.

No signs of algae - hence feeding my shrimp a FEW crumbs of algae waffers. They seems happy enough and you can tell they are eating something due to droppings appearing around the tank.

Tannins considerably reduced now, to something more inline with what i expected. Hopefully, within the next few weeks they will completely stop.

I am 90% sure i am changing my T5 light unit for a MH since my uncle is giving me one when i got to his house on holiday next week (grandad, parents and friends looking after the tank, i`m pooing it!)
I`ll just have to check if it fits a standard ADA MH 8000k bulb.

Ok here is your picture. Its just come straight from the camera, sorry no time to adjust.... I have an amature photographer coming around to my home in September to take a picture provided everything is going to plan.

oasis3.jpg

Looks great Chris. I really like how the plants are filling in in the middle. If I didn't know you were having tannins problems, I wouldnt have known looking at that picture. The water looks near perfect. The grass will look awesome in there once it starts to fill in. I've been thinking recently about switching my hydro. verticulata for hairgrass. Keep me posted as to how you like it.

The updated pic looks great Chris.
As Jen said .... no sign of tannins in the pic, the water looks really clear.

I'm using AS & PS in the tank I'll be setting up next week. How did you find the PS when replanting ?
Did you get any pumice pulled through to the surface.

Keep the updates coming......

Cheers
Al

Most reactions

trending

Back