Craynerds Planted Tank Mk.2

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

craynerd

Fish Addict
Reaction score
So this is the proposal for my second attempt from scratch.

As you guys from TFF know I?m scrapping the Rekord70 and moving on to hopefully better things. I?ve been planning this now for about 2 months and this is what I have so far or at least what i propose to have by the time I begin in no more than 2-3 weeks time.

Tank = AE German Opti White High Clarity Tank 60x30x36cm

Light = 3 x 24watt T5 luminaire light with daylight 6500K tubes This gives me 72w. I also propose to use a AE HOT5 24w behind the luminarie unit at a higher color temp and also to increase wattage to 96w
I may time this to come on for only part of the photoperiod ... ( ~ 5 wpg )

Co2 = 8 kg CO2 bottle with Mig Welding Regulator and needle valve i.e. DIY pressurized CO2
ADA pollen glass 2 diffuser

Filter: Eheim 2211 classic,
Outlet - ADA P2 lily pipe,
Inlet -Standard eheim for now.

Substrate = ADA Amazonian soil with powersand.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So that?s the hardware, now with regards to the hardscape i have been planning this for a long time. The pieces of wood i have suit the design and i will post further details of my in depth ideas shortly.

But for now, what?s your opinion of my equipment?

Like everyone getting serious about this hobby I have spent a relatively large amount of money and therefore I certainly appreciate people helping me out with advice to make sure it is not being wasted.

I look forward to hearing some detailed replies and opinions.

Regards

Chris

Will the Eheim 2211 not be quite under filtered ? With all that high tech gear etc. Amano usually over filters massively - so wouldn't it be worth your while to get something with a much higher filtration ? Even my 2213 feels under filtered on a tank just a couple of gallons larger than your proposed tank.

hummm, interesting comment Bloo, but i could forsee no problems on a 65l tank since it is designed for aquariums up to 150l.

I am pleased you pointed it out tho, thanks very much, i will definately look into it more. At present the filter is still brand new and boxed, so now is the best time to sell it should i wish to.

I`ll check into it more and get back to you although i heard oldwhite was planning on using an even smaller filter on his 20g.

To be honest the biomass will be small since i will have a maximum of about 10 fish but then again will have a heck of a lot of shrimps!!!

Guess Zig and Themuleous are really the best people to comment. Can't remember what sized tank Zig got it for, but Sam's is a mere 24l. In my experience with Eheim Filters they are very gentle, especially on larger outflows and don't give nearly as much the forceful flow as one would think. So definitely something to think about :)

Reckon you’d be ok with the 2211, as you say it is rated for up to 150lt tanks. The only thing I would say is that I have discovered that the flow gets drastically reduced if I don’t clean it that often (say over a couple of months) and the flow isn't that strong in the first place.

But you'll not be wanting a very strong flow anyway so probably perfect! The one massive advantage with the classic range is the sheer volume of sponge and other media you can put in them, so I don’t think biological filtration would be a problem, but mechanical might be a bit off due to the low flow rate. But 50% water changes weekly will sort any crud thats floating about!

The list looks impressive Chris. I'm feeling jealous. What sort of plants are you aiming to grow and have you thought out the aquascape?

I am deciding to move up one, and go to the Eheim classic 2213.

Its just the next one up, with with people like Justin Law using a Eheim designed for 55g on his 7g Summer Dance setup, i am happy that a faster flow rate will not effect things.

Dubby yes i have a good idea of plants and aquascape and i will post more details when i have scanned in my original thoughs, ideas and design drawings.

Chris

Amano usually over filters massively - so wouldn't it be worth your while to get something with a much higher filtration ?

How much is massively over filtered? I have an Eheim 2126, which circulates 650l/hr (pump outpu 950l/hr)in my 100 litre tank, but have it throttled back somewhat. I also have a small internal in there which is/was/maybe temporary after my first 2126 went belly up, just haven't taken it out yet.

Alan

I have no problem with a high filtration, infact it seems it is a good idea. My problem is with the water disturbance it causes, but with the ADA lily pipe, hopefully it should expel it in a uniform mannor.

2211 sold, paid for and collected in less than 24 hours. I am just ordering the bigger brother 2213 as we speak.

Chris

BTW, i forgot to post. EVERYTHING else remaining is on order, so the tank, lily pipe and AS is all on its way.

CHris

My tank is only 60x30x30 but for this size tank i think the filter is perfect, excellent flow, i cut the spraybar down by an inch or so and have it running from from the side along the length of the tank, im happy with it, but couldn't comment on its use in a bigger tank.

flea bay - they arrived today and are spot on. Since i am moving the tank into my spare room i am susspending them from the roof since the light fixture gives me the option!!

I would recommend, i payed £80 BUY NOw but simon bid on the same one and got it for £30 !!!! EXCELLENT price....i am pleased and i paid £80 !

Chris

Yours took a lot longer than mine to come, mine came in two days.

Whens your tanks due and how much is it costing you with P&P?

What you going to do with the juwel when you get it?

Simon.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back