Craynerds Planted Tank Mk.2

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Nice Chris, this has come on leaps and bounds. Once the carpet is sorted it'll look quality.

Sam

nice snaps!

cheers for that pruning schedule too. i need to start doing that, as my Cabomba caroliniana and Hygrophila polysperma keep reaching the top within a couple of days of pruning.
120.gif

The work you've put into this tank has really paid off. Your latest pics showing some of the cabinet, reminded me of the effort you put into the initial planning diagrams and in building of the cabinet.

It would be good to see a whole tank & cabinet picture sometime !
Are you still planning of getting some 'Pro' pics taken ?

Knowing your CAU influence, is the pruning schedule something similar to their methods, or is this a 'home grown' plan ...... or maybe a bit of both. Whatever it, it looks well thought out and will be interesting to see how the shape of the plants develops.

Only my opinion, but I think the lower growing glosso in the forground will look even better than the hair grass, although probably more labour intensive keeping it under control.

Al

You built that cabinet? Where is your guide at? I'll have to have a quick search, it looks like a designer cabinet and everytime I look at it, I want it! I'll have to make one for my cube tank when I get it! I just love it! How much did it cost you?

Neal ;)

Looking good Chris, lots of work but its paying off, i quite like the fact that a tank may need a tweek here and a trim there, its more interactive aquarium keeping.
I like it, jobs a good'en.

The work you've put into this tank has really paid off. Your latest pics showing some of the cabinet, reminded me of the effort you put into the initial planning diagrams and in building of the cabinet.

It would be good to see a whole tank & cabinet picture sometime !
Are you still planning of getting some 'Pro' pics taken ?

Hi,

Yes the planning does seem to be paying off. I am still planning pro photos, its just the opposite problem of what you imagine. The photographer wants to give ME a date, yet because i have not got the blooming timing correct yet, i find it hard to say yes it will be ready. Really it needs me to tell him when i am ready but as you can imagine, with him being a pro and him doing this for me on the cheap he can`t really do that. I`ll sort something out within the next few months.

Knowing your CAU influence, is the pruning schedule something similar to their methods, or is this a 'home grown' plan ...... or maybe a bit of both. Whatever it, it looks well thought out and will be interesting to see how the shape of the plants develops.

:hyper: haha, its a slightly better translation of the pruning schedule that Gary Wu personally sent me with the exact photo. So yes, you could some what say that it is equal to a CAU method.

Only my opinion, but I think the lower growing glosso in the foreground will look even better than the hair grass, although probably more labour intensive keeping it under control

Good, because the hairgrass wouldn`t grow. For that reason, I AGREE!!!! :fun: :blush:

You built that cabinet? Where is your guide at? I'll have to have a quick search, it looks like a designer cabinet and everytime I look at it, I want it! I'll have to make one for my cube tank when I get it! I just love it! How much did it cost you?

Yes me and Simon built the cabinet. Well ok, i`ll re-phrase that, simon built the cabinet and i did the sanding and painting :look:
Took me days to sand it down and paint it, but it has certainly worked out!! I am 100% happy with the cabinet! B)
It cost me £25 in MDF and then £25 in paint, glue, primer (£10), etc

Unfortunately, simons computer broke down, which means all the pictures where lost. He did have plans to write a "How To" but i think he has been busy...!!

Neil is currently making a stand, i`m sure he could give you more details.

cheers for that pruning schedule too. i need to start doing that, as my Cabomba caroliniana and Hygrophila polysperma keep reaching the top within a couple of days of pruning.

Hi Madcow,
The pruning schedule is really a bit more in depth than that. Basically it is there so that you get nice bushy stem plants without the bottoms thinning and yellowing and so they grow in almost a ball. Look at the CAU website and you`ll see what i mean. They still hit the top at the same speed.

I suppose its a technique more than just a schedule. Basically it uses the fact that a stem resprouts double when cut, and uses this fact to bush the plant out.

It works really well. YOu know what i would seriously advise anyone to do? Take a stem plant, eg rotala just stem and plant it carefully in your foreground just so you can really watch it. Cut it about 4 - 5inch from the deck and watch how it regenerates. Cut it to 7 inch and watch again. It will really help your understanding of how they grow, how they bush and how if prooned incorrectly they become weak.

Nice Chris, this has come on leaps and bounds. Once the carpet is sorted it'll look quality.

Sam

Tanks sam, thanks everyone.

Please keep giving me feedback. Its what keeps me going. Critical as well as positive!!! ;)

Chris

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back