Crayfish

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

AngelOfDeath

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
anybody here keep crayfish? i want one but would like some info beforehand, what about tank size/diet?

i want a blue one (illegal in UK =( )

You should post in the inverts section, there are a couple of people keeping Crays who look in there.

Your in luck, the blue ones are the only ones legal in the uk :good: They are Australian Red Claw Crayfish.This link might help

Have a look at the DEFRA website, these are definately the legal ones. Cherax quadricarinatus is their scientific name.

http://www.defra.gov.uk/fish/freshwater/crayfish.htm

The keeping of crayfish as ornamental animals is effectively prohibited. However, an exception has been made for the keeping of certain named tropical species of crayfish, in heated indoor aquaria. A general licence has been issued under the Crayfish Order, in respect of the redclaw crayfish (Cherax quadricarinatus), a native of Northern Australia. This is the only crayfish currently recognised as a tropical species and therefore incapable of reproducing in the wild in Britain. "A guide to the identification of redclaw crayfish" has been produced by the Centre for Environment, Fisheries & Aquaculture Science (CEFAS) to assist both the trade and those enforcing the legislation.

One more thing to add. You can break off the pinchers of cray if you find it eats your fish. That's what I had my hubby do. They grow back after each molt. They can still pick stuff up and get to their mouth. I kept mine in a 29 gallon tank w/various tropical fish. I've witnessed mine eating a fish alive before ...very creepy. we made it let it go and the fish lived for a long time yet. That's actually when we starting removing the pinchers.

One more thing to add. You can break off the pinchers of cray if you find it eats your fish. That's what I had my hubby do. They grow back after each molt. They can still pick stuff up and get to their mouth. I kept mine in a 29 gallon tank w/various tropical fish. I've witnessed mine eating a fish alive before ...very creepy. we made it let it go and the fish lived for a long time yet. That's actually when we starting removing the pinchers.

no way could i do that, wouldnt want to hurt a creature for doing what it instinctively does, plus i would simply find it cool if i found it munching on one of my boring lemon tetra lol

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back