Crayfish And Brackish?

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

sarahmom22

Reaction score
Can a crayfish tolerate brackish conditions? I'm wondering if we got another tank, if we could keep the Columbian Sharks and the crayfish together? Any help would be appreciated!

Okay...since no one was helping me, I decided to do a little research, and, just so everyone knows, Crays aren't even supposed to be in HEATED tanks, as they are not tropical. SO, yup, it's a goin back to the store.

Okay...since no one was helping me, I decided to do a little research, and, just so everyone knows, Crays aren't even supposed to be in HEATED tanks, as they are not tropical. SO, yup, it's a goin back to the store.

no Cray dont like brackish, and no they are not all coldwater! there are tropicl cray, well one anyway. many cray are happy up in the seventys, low. but the only tropical one is a Australian Redclaw, known as a Blue lobster. if you are unsure of your cray. i have posted many pics of Redclaw, so a search will help.

and 35 min, is no time at all to wait for a reply. lol and you may well have been given better information than you found.

It would also be a good idea to ask brackish water aquarium questions in the brackish water section. That's where us brackish water people tend to hang out!

And yes, as boboboy says, there are crayfish in all kinds of waters. There certainly are a few species found in slightly brackish water, buy by and large it is crabs and shrimps that occupy the crayfish ecological niche in estuaries and mangroves. The salinity tolerance of the common European and American species of freshwater crayfish has been quite widely studied by animal physiologists, and is not very great, so unless you know better, leave them out of the brackish tank. If you have SG 1.010 or more, consider the blue-leg hermit crab, Clibanarius tricolor. This animal is usually sold as a reef tank invertebrate but is very euryhaline and does well in brackish water aquaria. Moreover, it is harmless to other animals, unlike crayfish, which can be distinctly predatory.

Cheers, Neale

its a shame, i'd love to see Cray with the Columbian, though it could not happen. i just think if possible, it would look great. lol the sea monster and the shark lol :hyper:

Most reactions

Back