Crates

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

nitro7

Fishaholic
Reaction score
how many people on here put their dogs in crates or pens and why :hyper: we have a one for sapphie but she can come and go as she likes.we got it so she could have her own little space :good: she also has run of part of the house when we go out :rolleyes:
DSCF3177.jpg

DSCF3176.jpg

pics with comments more than welcome :good:

I don't have to put mine in, they are trained to walk in when asked, or go in on their own accord;

dsc015831td2.jpg

For a young pup, they are one of the easiest and most consistent methods for housebreaking. It's a safe place for the dog when household activities demand that a dog not be underfoot. If your dog ever needs to stay overnight at the vet they will most definitely be confined, being accustomed to this reduces what is more than likely already a stressful situation.

Having a run of part of the house is fine when they are older, and you have a better idea of what to expect. I do that with my three, but as pups they still have to be watched;

newpup70808033bvi2.jpg

My dogs are often found napping in their crates, which are in the kitchen. The doors are always open unless there is a reason for them to be confined. Often Gus & Izzy will squeeze into the same crate to nap together. Kaz likes his space.

Izzy is a rescue, and has some issues with thunderstorms, I set up a "bomb shelter" of sorts downstairs under the computer desk. It's a styro on its side with a dog bed, similar to a crate and a little bit soundproof. Her & Gus are in there ATM, by my feet, same routine every night. Crating works off of a dog's natural instinct to find a smaller enclosed area for shelter and to sleep, it's easier to work with nature than against it.

Recently there was an article in the local newspaper about the dangers of driving with a dog, or any pet for that matter, unconfined in a car. Besides the obvious distraction to the driver, your pet can become a projectile in the car, risking serious injury or death in a very minor accident. A sturdy crate belted in greatly reduces the risk of either of these situations.

nice pics tolak :good:
is that 6.37 am on the second picture i can see :hyper: like to be up early then

6:34am, second morning in a row Gus did that. The first time my wife was frantic, I just slid him up, bent the wood dowels a bit & popped him out. The second morning he got to spend 10 minutes walking back & forth grumbling, giving me plenty of time to take a picture. He didn't do it after that, quick learner for being 9 weeks old.

We use a crate for thenew pup Tucker. He's not housebroken yet so the crate prevent potty accidents and keeps him safe (and our house safe) while we are asleep or are not home. We actually don't use it when we are at work because 7 hours, especially after being in for an 8 hour night, it a bit too much. He goes in an X pen with the crate, toys, and a puppy pad instead. He was driven up to us from TN so he spent like 3 days in a crate, so luckily for us he came crate trained, has slept perfectly since the day we got him. If we're not home he's not so quiet but we don't care so much, no one can hear him.

I don't use crates on any of my dogs- it's illegil in many places for a reason. My dogs are all house broken the old fashioned way- way more work, but way better karma- keeping dogs in cages is crule. My dogs aren't all super well trained- they sleep in my bed, drink out of the fish tanks sometimes, and steel my things. But they are still my awsome dogs and I love them

A crate is a training tool, no different from a clicker or pinch collar. As with any tool, used properly it works as intended, used improperly and you can create a disaster. Crate training is not keeping a dog in a cage. It works on a dog's natural den instinct, which you have to have an understanding of from the start. I sure would like a link to some laws stating that crate training is illegal, as this is the first I have ever heard of that, ever.

If I didn't crate my dog he'd go to the bathroom all over wherever I put him all night. He would never learn to hold it at night, he'd get in the habbit of thinking night time is an okay time to go to the bathroom in the house. You can train when you are awake, not asleep or not home. Plus I'd have to make sure wherever I put him was super puppy proofed or else I'd wake up and find he'd eaten something very bad for him. And again a bad habit would form (and you can't just remove all chewable things, molding is great fun). And believe me, Tucker finds nothing cruel about the crate at night, he either sleeps or chews on a bully stick, never cries. In fact at night he wants to go to his crate, he has since he learned what it was for. When my parents go upstairs to go to bed I hold him at the bottom of the stairs and he starts rearing to go like a dog at flyball. As soon as they get up top I let him go and he runs up the stairs and straight into his crate. He cries in the crate when we are not home because he is alone, he does the same thing if he is baby gated into the kitchen while someone is in the bathroom. If he is in the crate next to the table while we eat dinner he is silent. He has no problems with the crate, just being alone. I also find most people who don't use crates use painful punishments such as hitting, when they find their dog's accidents (NOT saying you do). I would much rather a dog be locked in a cage for a few hours than smacked around.

oh and having dogs sleep in your bed does not make them poorly trained, there is nothing bad about dogs sleeping your bed unless you don't want them there. I love cuddling with dogs in bed, so warm and comfy.

I do have to disagree that a crate can be associated with a pinch collar. The purpose of a pinch collar is to inflict pain, that is not the purpose of a crate (or a clicker, leash, collar, etc. even though some people use them improperly to the point where they are abusive).

A properly used pinch collar creates pressure, not pain. The mechanics are identical to a martingale, they tighten & stop, don't choke. Try one on your forearm or leg next time you come across them in a shop. After that try a choke collar, which 90% of the people using don't know how to use properly. Give them both a quick snap & release, as you would during training.

Understand that not all training methods or tools work equally well on all dogs. It is to your benefit to know of these methods and tools though, and when to transition between them if needed. Just as a crate would not work the best for housebreaking a mill rescue, a pinch would not work best for a soft clingy dog.

Whether it's pressure or pain depends on how hard the dog is pulling. I would never use one during regular training as I don't believe in giving regular flat collar corrections, never mind ones with a prong collar, such punishment has no place in training IMO, but to each their own. If I put one on my neck, attached a leash and tied the leash to a stationary object then ran to the end of the leash (like many dogs do while on leash), I have a feeling it'd be painful. Of course I would never do that to myself. Some dogs will not pull hard enough against a prong to feel pain, but I'm sure many do, pressure is not enough of a deterent for them. It's not just like a martingale because it has the prongs on it, they dig into the dog's neck. I don't like them, but they are better than choke chains. They work faster because they hurt more sooner (dog doesn't have to pull as hard to feel uncomfortable) and they don't have the choking affect that can damage the dog's trachea, my dog's throat is not something to fool around with. I would personally never use either one my own dog (I know better ways to train my dog to walk without pulling) but I'd rather see someone walking their dog on a prong than on a choker.

But I'm not about to get into a training debate, that's not what this thread is about, it's about crates, I think I should just go back to my dog forum lol.

But I'm not about to get into a training debate, that's not what this thread is about, it's about crates, I think I should just go back to my dog forum lol.

If anyone ever thinks advice for stocking aquariums can vary and get heated start talking training techniques in a dog forum. :lol: Old school Kohler trainers trading punches with the positive reinforcement crowd.

If anyone ever thinks advice for stocking aquariums can vary and get heated start talking training techniques in a dog forum. :lol: Old school Kohler trainers trading punches with the positive reinforcement crowd.

hahaha yep. I totally agree. I use positive reinforcement. For me that boils down to do what you're supposed to do and you don't get a correction you get a reward instead. Corrections of course don't come in until the dog is absolutely positve what the command means of course!

Crates on the other hand are a total life, carpet, and sanity saver! They keep your dogs out of trouble (ie: Chewing on electric cords, eating shoes, furniture, pottying on the floor) If done correctly its an awesome tool. We crate train as pups and use treats to get them to go in. It's NEVER force and NEVER a punishment. Once the are quiet in the crate for 5 minutes we let them back out and just extend the time frame every day. We also feed in our crates.

We also travel with our dogs quite a bit. We take crates and our dogs always feel very comfortable and feel at home. We have 5 dogs and 10 crates. 5 in the house and 5 for travel. They always get the same crates when we travel and in the house. We have never had to worry about our dogs crawling around in the vehicle and causing an accident. Never have to worry about them escaping out of open windows or car doors. We can leave our vehicle (van or truck) completely open on hot days at dogs shows.

Prong collars on the other hand are also a great tool if used properly. I use them on all of my adult dogs during training. Again, some say they are cruel, but I feel they are less cruel than a choke or e-collar. Positive reinforcement, if you do as you're supposed to you get the ball instead of the correction. Prong collars are more natural as it's the same concept as a momma dog does when pups misbehave. A quick bite on the neck is much preferable than an electric shock and more personal.

Most reactions

trending

Back