Craigslist Tank Project.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

qball922

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Bought a 100 gal off craigslist, she was in pretty rough shape but i decided the price was right and i was willing to put in the effort. I'm completely resealing the tank cuz the previous owner had airline tubes siliconed to the corners and when i ripped them out it ruined the original seal. The entire tank was destroyed in hardwater buildup so i began stripping the silicone. I took the rim off which leads to my main question. When taking the rim off it came apart totally. It was 4 pieces angle cut and butt jointed together with some kind of glue. It didnt seem to add much structural support because when i pried it off the glued joints just popped right off. My question is do i have to reglue and re-silicone these back on or can i leave the tank rimless? It's a 19"x19"x6' tank with half inch glass and the usual glued butt joints in the corners. Again they didnt seem to add much support and i would love a rimless tank. Input is appreciated.

EDIT: just measured glass thickness, its 13mm, but for safe measure we'll say its 12mm worse case scenario. Ive heard of people using 15mm on a tank thats 120 inches long. Mines only 72 inches. The only issue i could think of is the adhesive used to bond the glass. Again input is helpful cuz im not a tank builder.

I would think you would have to have some kind of support... Silicone isn't a super glue kind of hold for a lot of stress... I'm not a tank builder either...
I do know there are rimless tanks though...
I hope someone that builds tanks will reply!

lrhodes said:
I would think you would have to have some kind of support... Silicone isn't a super glue kind of hold for a lot of stress... I'm not a tank builder either...
lrhodes said:
Well thanks for the reply atleast haha, im at a loss so im trying to get as many opinions as possible.

I have no experience building or repairing tanks but I am a fan of buying them second hand and cleaning them up. When ever I set up a tank for the first time I fill it with water and leave it in my bathtub overnight to make sure it isn't going to leak! Good luck with your project 
biggrin.png

FriendlyFriendlyFish said:
I have no experience building or repairing tanks but I am a fan of buying them second hand and cleaning them up. When ever I set up a tank for the first time I fill it with water and leave it in my bathtub overnight to make sure it isn't going to leak! Good luck with your project :D
I leak tested it with the rim on before i ever began stripping the silicone. No leaks, but we'll see how it goes after its cleaned up and resealed haha, thanks tho!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back