Cracked Tank

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Assaye

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
A few days ago, my 110 litre tank broke. I stupidly did not use a pad under it and as it doesn't have a floating base, this left it vulnerable.

There is a crack right across the base of the tank and it was very slowly leaking water for a few days before I realise.

The tank is now drained and I've sealed the crack from the outside with silicone. I plan to also seal it from the inside. I've also got a pad for it.

Is it going to be safe to use once properly sealed or am I in the market for a new tank?

i have repaired by placing a bit of
glass on the inside of the tank bit
only ever with small tanks with it been
a large tank i would replace it does your
lfs do tank repairs that's were i used to
take mine before i started doing my own which
i don't do any more for other reasons one silicone
and glass both to expensive :lol:

I'm with Biffster on this. Unless you are super confident in your ability I would replace the whole base glass and re-silicon. If not, then it's a case of replacing the whole tank. Better safe than sorry an all that.

I have repaired tanks before. If you want to try I get a piece of glass that covers the whole bottom. Remove all silicone from tank seal the new glass to the bottom without removing old piece and reseal the whole tank. I say remove all silicone because I have not had much with silicone sealing to old.

Thanks for the input, guys.

Might be easier to replace the entire tank with something second hand, tbh. A 3 foot sheet of glass is going to cost a bomb.

Hello,

I'd replace the cracked glass.. It is actually very easy to do. If you need any pointers then just ask here.
Bear in mind that new silicone will not seal properly to existing cured stuff.. Read this as your repair will fail at some point.

I've tried various methods but the most successful way has been with glass replacement.
Whatever you decide to do, make sure that you use aquarium safe silicon. I get mine from the local glaziers.. £4.50 for a 330ml tube (for a caulking gun).

Good luck!

Bodge99

Hello,

I'd replace the cracked glass.. It is actually very easy to do. If you need any pointers then just ask here.
Bear in mind that new silicone will not seal properly to existing cured stuff.. Read this as your repair will fail at some point.

I've tried various methods but the most successful way has been with glass replacement.
Whatever you decide to do, make sure that you use aquarium safe silicon. I get mine from the local glaziers.. £4.50 for a 330ml tube (for a caulking gun).

Good luck!

Bodge99

Yeah, I always use aquarium safe stuff. Will look for a new bit of glass and see how much that will cost. Looks like the repair is going to be fun, what with stripping off all the old silicone and such. This will be the second major repair I've had to do on this tank!

how did you get on with the
tank repairs did you manage OK

Not done it yet. Don't have the time or money to sort it atm.

Got the filter cycling in a bucket and it can stay there for as long as necessary.

I had a tank crack on me once. Tried sealing it with silicone, but it started leaking about a week later. Your best bet is probably to replace it.

I had a tank crack on me once. Tried sealing it with silicone, but it started leaking about a week later. Your best bet is probably to replace it.

yeah, this happens a lot. perhaps if you placed a sheet of glass, over the crack, and silicone it to the glass. it may have more longevity. but its often better to replace the whole sheet. as Assaye says, any tube of Aquarium safe silicone will do. no need for a trip to the LFs though. most diy, boat and caravan stores will hold it.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back