Couple With New Tank

He left it half filled with water (Its a Fuval 305 with the aqua lock thing).

These are the results as for the week:

Wednesdays readings were:
pH: 7.4
Ammonia: 0 (Hadn't added any at that time)
Nitrate: 20 ppm
Nitrite: 0
Added ammonia to reach 4 ppm

Thursdays readings:
Ammonia: 2 ppm
Nitrate: Didn't take a reading
Nitrite: Didn't take a reading
Added ammonia to reach 4 ppm

Fridays reading:
Ammonia: 2 ppm
Nitrate: 40 ppm
Nitrite: 1 ppm

Saturdays reading:
Ammonia: 0 ppm
Nitrate: 80 ppm

So added ammonia up to 2ppm again.

If it was still full of water then there definitely is every chance it's boosted your cycle. And they certainly look like great results :D

Looks like you'll be ready for fish in no time!

Tonight's reading:

Nitrate: 160 ppm
Nitrite: 5 ppm

Now what lol.

What results am I looking for? Do I still keep adding 2ppm of ammonia to keep the bacteria going?

You also need to have a 0 ppm for nitrite as well at 12 hours after you dose ammonia back up to 4-5 ppm.

When you have both 0 ppm for ammonia and nitrite (double 0's) then you will be cycled!

-FHM

Tonight's reading:

Nitrate: 160 ppm

So not quite back down to 0 Nitrite.

So I keep adding 2 ppm till the Ammonia and Nitrite are both 0 or do I now add it up to 4ppm?

Wait until the Nitrite is down to 0 ppm, then start dosing back up to 4 ppm. But, you may be okay right now to dose back up to 4, but I would give it one more day to see what happens.:good:

-FHM

Tonight's reading:

Nitrite: 0 ppm

I now have the Ammonia and Nitrite at 0 but the Nitrate has also dropped. Is that right?

You have an API test kit?

Nitrate should not go down, unless you have live plants.

Whatever the case may be, I would not worry about it as Nitrates is the least of your worries right now and dose the effect the cycle.

-FHM

Yes we have live plants in there (That are doing really well) and we are using the API test kit.

So is that it. We are all cycled?

Plants will actually use nitrates as a source of nutrients, so this could be where the nitrates are going.

Now since you are getting double zeros at the 12 hour mark, continue dosing the ammonia up to 5 ppm, just like you have been doing all this time, for one more week. This is called the qualifying week. During this week nitrite sometimes spikes, for unknown reasons, and it is best this happens without fish in the tank.

After the week is up, go ahead and do a 90% water change and add fish!

-FHM

Added Ammonia last night and got the same results as last night again tonight.

Tonight's reading:

Nitrite: 0 ppm

Very good. Continue this for one week to ensure your bacteria colony is established. Then do a 90% water change and add fish!

-FHM

Most reactions

Back