Could I Keep Any Gouramis?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

125gal would be "better" for the Bala sharks but they actually need tanks of 12ft x 3 x 3 (which is around 3050 litres i believe... 670 gallons/800US gallons) for adults not just because of their potential size but also because try are such fast and active swimmers. Most people cant offer them a tank of that size. Not a recommended fish for home aquariums. They also new to be in groups of 6+

I would say the best thing to do is rehome the Bala sharks. Unless of course you can give them a tank of this size :good:

They do not need to be in groups of 6. Groups of at least 3 is acceptable and that's what the OP has done. In smaller groups I'd say giving them at least a 6ftx2ftx2ft would be acceptable too as yes they're active but they slow down as they age and 6ft would give 3 plenty of space to swim around.

Bala Sharks - http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/123786-bala-shark/

You think 6 feet would be enough for 3 fish that get to 14 inches in length and are as skittish as a Bala? Lol sorry but you are very much mistaken. They do need to be in 6+ (many members on here even advise groups of 10). It takes them 2 feet of space to even get up to speed so a 6 foot is nowhere near big enough. I'm sure more experienced members on here such as "nobody of the goat" will be along to back me up on this.

If you were to keep 3, which is not advise, then I'd say an 8x3x3 would do but personally I'd still want a bigger tank for them. Iv seen a group of 6 at around 8-9 inches in a 10x2x2 and it seemed way too small for them

OK so I got the tank size off but they do not absolutely need to be in groups of 6+.

A quick google search.

"It is recommended to keep a group of at least three individuals."

"It is preferable to keep them in a small shoal of at least 3 fish"

"The large adult size means that this fish should be kept in nothing less than a 75 gallon tank though larger is preferable as the fish is a schooling species that needs to be kept in groups of at least 3."

"This shark does best in small groups of 3 or more"

They do not need groups of 6. They do very well in groups of 3.

Edit: Yet another quote.

"Tank Size: Ideally 6x2x2
Group Size: Ideally 3+"

A quick google search also told me a single flowerhorn cichlid would be ok in a 40 gallon tank too but this is far from right. They actually need a minimum of 55 gal.

It also told me that clown loaches were ok to put in a 4 foot 75 gal when in fact they need tanks of 5-6 feet minimum.

What I'm saying is there is a lot of false or misleading information online and also given by a lot of stores. It's best to come on a forum such as this 1 and ask people that have knowledge of fish and their needs.

I can see what your saying by the don't HAVE to be in groups of 6+... Just like thinks like tetras, barbs, red belly piranhas, corys and clown loaches just to name a few also don't HAVE to be in groups of 6+. The reason behind it is not so much of a need but these types of fish are a lot less shy and known to be so better if you do keep them in the required numbers.

A quick google search also told me a single flowerhorn cichlid would be ok in a 40 gallon tank too but this is far from right. They actually need a minimum of 55 gal.

It also told me that clown loaches were ok to put in a 4 foot 75 gal when in fact they need tanks of 5-6 feet minimum.

What I'm saying is there is a lot of false or misleading information online and also given by a lot of stores. It's best to come on a forum such as this 1 and ask people that have knowledge of fish and their needs.

I can see what your saying by the don't HAVE to be in groups of 6+... Just like thinks like tetras, barbs, red belly piranhas, corys and clown loaches just to name a few also don't HAVE to be in groups of 6+. The reason behind it is not so much of a need but these types of fish are a lot less shy and known to be so better if you do keep them in the required numbers.

One of those quotes are from this forum...
I do get what you're saying it's just I'm battling with a friend trying to get her to get rid of her single one that she is keeping in a 2ft tank at the same time as trying to give bare minimum advice for someone on the forum who already has 3. I will agree that google can give inaccurate "advice" but I quoted from both this forum and 4 other websites.

Bala Sharks should reach 35cm excluding their tail fin.

The minimum size tank for a fish that is not hyperactive is regarded as 4L for its length, 2L for its depth and 2L for its height, where L is the fishes length. So for a Bala Shark, even a 150x70x70cm would not be suitable long term, because they are an active, skittish, schooling fish.

I would not put a group of at least 6, ideally nearer 10, in anything less than a 400x90x90cm tank (12x3x3 foot tank). In other words, it ain't going to happen unless someone buys me a winning lottery ticket.

Forget the cute little fish size you see in the shops, look at the tank buster you are taking on. for example... http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?q=Balantiocheilos+melanopterus&hl=en&sa=X&biw=1920&bih=1090&tbm=isch&prmd=imvns&tbnid=pBVEUGprN9C8_M:&imgrefurl=http://www.anglingthailand.com/gallery/gallery.asp%3Fcat%3Djfothers&docid=22zQH_rrOYDJGM&imgurl=http://www.anglingthailand.com/data/pics/jfothers/89571220_Tricolor%252520Sharkminnow.jpg&w=650&h=430&ei=n1J-UPCwOKLU0QXQqIGICQ&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=467&vpy=156&dur=36&hovh=183&hovw=276&tx=161&ty=135&sig=104950760093416036056&page=1&tbnh=140&tbnw=211&start=0&ndsp=46&ved=1t:429,r:1,s:0,i:72

Take it from a very experienced fish keeper like "nobody of the goat" ^^^. They get huge and prefer larger groups as he says "6 but preferably nearer 10" which would mean nothing smaller than a 12x3x3 long term. Which is the same size tank as I said previously.

Back to keeping 3... Yes you could but 6 foot will be too small for them.

Take it from a very experienced fish keeper like "nobody of the goat" ^^^. They get huge and prefer larger groups as he says "6 but preferably nearer 10" which would mean nothing smaller than a 12x3x3 long term. Which is the same size tank as I said previously.

Ok, fair do's. But yet still after showing her all this she insists her single Bala Shark is fine and will live happily in a 2ft tank for life. The poor thing has already knocked over ornaments and pulled up plants from zipping round the tank when scared. She won't listen to me though. I give up with her.

Ok, fair do's. But yet still after showing her all this she insists her single Bala Shark is fine and will live happily in a 2ft tank for life. The poor thing has already knocked over ornaments and pulled up plants from zipping round the tank when scared. She won't listen to me though. I give up with her.
Ah right I see what you mean and you are right in advising her that a 2ft tank is far to small for even a single Bala. I'm going to take a wild guess and say this 2ft tank is around 1ft from front to back? That means that her Bala will get longer than the the tank width. Having said that, in such a small tank the Bala will become stunted as its not got the room to grow to its potential size... This means it will stop growing in the outside but it's internal organs will continue to grow meaning it will be in a lot of pain and will likely die much earlier than normal. You should keep onto her and maybe she will come to her senses. :good:

Ah right I see what you mean and you are right in advising her that a 2ft tank is far to small for even a single Bala. I'm going to take a wild guess and say this 2ft tank is around 1ft from front to back? That means that her Bala will get longer than the the tank width. Having said that, in such a small tank the Bala will become stunted as its not got the room to grow to its potential size... This means it will stop growing in the outside but it's internal organs will continue to grow meaning it will be in a lot of pain and will likely die much earlier than normal. You should keep onto her and maybe she will come to her senses. :good:

It's already 5" long and she's had it since it was 2"... She won't get rid of it cause she loves it. If she loved it that much she'd get rid of it. I know what stunting it, I've explained that too her too and she said "So you're telling me that this fish which may or may not get to 13" will only grow to say 7-9" in my tank and that it's organs will carry on rowing leaving it in a lot of pain and it will die early?" So I answered with "Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying. You're killing the fish early by keeping it." Her reply? "That's all complete bull!! My angelfish lived 4 years in that tank and never got any bigger than 3"!"

That's because it was stunted and died early! Mine's nearly a year old and already bigger than 3"...

It's already 5" long and she's had it since it was 2"... She won't get rid of it cause she loves it. If she loved it that much she'd get rid of it. I know what stunting it, I've explained that too her too and she said "So you're telling me that this fish which may or may not get to 13" will only grow to say 7-9" in my tank and that it's organs will carry on rowing leaving it in a lot of pain and it will die early?" So I answered with "Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying. You're killing the fish early by keeping it." Her reply? "That's all complete bull!! My angelfish lived 4 years in that tank and never got any bigger than 3"!"

That's because it was stunted and died early! Mine's nearly a year old and already bigger than 3"...
Yes your right. Given the correct space/tank size an angel fish should be close to fully grown in around a year or so. Obviously there are other factors to take into account such as diet and how much water is changed in the tank and how often and of course the filtration comes into it too.

As an example I have 1 fish in my 450 litre... A 5 inch flowerhorn. I have 2 tetratec ex1200 external filters as well as a fluval 4 plus internal (Just for added water movement). This give me around 2600LPH when you take into account the media in the filters (3400LPH without media)... I am doing 2 weekly water changes and sand vacs. I change 40-50% of the water each time. When it comes to feeding, as flowerhorns are big cichlids and have fast metabolisms I feed him 3 times a day with medium hikari gold floating cichlid pellets and/or New Life Spectrum sinking pellets, prawn and bloodworm. He is growing quickly... From 1 inch to over 5 inches in nearly 14 weeks!!!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back