Fishaholic
Reaction score
In my tank i currently have...

3 Bala Sharks
2 Mollies
3 Neon Tetras
4 Guppies
5 Neons

I really like the look of Pink kissing Gouramis and Pair Cobalt Blue Dwarf Gourami

Thanks!

I'm sure the next person is going to ask "well how big is the tank?"

The kissing gourami can grow up to a foot in length and can be aggressive especially with small fish like the tetras. You'd eventually need a large aquarium for these.

The dwarf gourami, I'm sure you may have read can be prone to sudden illness/death even in well established aquariums. They only grow up to 4 inches, so they could probably do in a medium sized tank with those fish. Just be sure not to get two males like with most gourami.

Probably the best gouramis in my opinion are Thick-lips or Bandeds. Look nice, don't often die for the fun of it. :good:

TekFish :good:

Hey Chigwell :) How big is the tank? I don't recommend any gourami's with Guppies as I've heard quite a few horror stories. Just like I don't recommend you keep Betta Splendens with Guppies :)

My tank is 3ft

Right... I'd recommend you move the Bala sharks on then as they prefer to be in groups and will get to about 13 - 16 inch long... They need a 100 Gallon pure minimum when adult. A 125 is a lot better because of them needing a group.

Neons and Neon Tetra's are the same thing :)

The Mollies, Guppies and Neons should all be fine in there but I'd say up the numbers of the Neons to about 10-16 in this size tank. If you want gourami's my best suggestion would be maybe a pair of Honey's? Or maybe a large group of either Sparkling or Croaking?

I do have another tank lined up for my bala sharks which isnt a problem.

Sorry for thetetra mix up :fun:

Thanks forthe help i will have a look into it :)

125gal would be "better" for the Bala sharks but they actually need tanks of 12ft x 3 x 3 (which is around 3050 litres i believe... 670 gallons/800US gallons) for adults not just because of their potential size but also because try are such fast and active swimmers. Most people cant offer them a tank of that size. Not a recommended fish for home aquariums. They also new to be in groups of 6+

I would say the best thing to do is rehome the Bala sharks. Unless of course you can give them a tank of this size :good:

125gal would be "better" for the Bala sharks but they actually need tanks of 12ft x 3 x 3 (which is around 3050 litres i believe... 670 gallons/800US gallons) for adults not just because of their potential size but also because try are such fast and active swimmers. Most people cant offer them a tank of that size. Not a recommended fish for home aquariums. They also new to be in groups of 6+

I would say the best thing to do is rehome the Bala sharks. Unless of course you can give them a tank of this size :good:

They do not need to be in groups of 6. Groups of at least 3 is acceptable and that's what the OP has done. In smaller groups I'd say giving them at least a 6ftx2ftx2ft would be acceptable too as yes they're active but they slow down as they age and 6ft would give 3 plenty of space to swim around.

Bala Sharks - http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/123786-bala-shark/

They do not need to be in groups of 6. Groups of at least 3 is acceptable and that's what the OP has done. In smaller groups I'd say giving them at least a 6ftx2ftx2ft would be acceptable too as yes they're active but they slow down as they age and 6ft would give 3 plenty of space to swim around.

Bala Sharks - http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/123786-bala-shark/

You think 6 feet would be enough for 3 fish that get to 14 inches in length and are as skittish as a Bala? Lol sorry but you are very much mistaken. They do need to be in 6+ (many members on here even advise groups of 10). It takes them 2 feet of space to even get up to speed so a 6 foot is nowhere near big enough. I'm sure more experienced members on here such as "nobody of the goat" will be along to back me up on this.

If you were to keep 3, which is not advise, then I'd say an 8x3x3 would do but personally I'd still want a bigger tank for them. Iv seen a group of 6 at around 8-9 inches in a 10x2x2 and it seemed way too small for them

Most reactions

Back