Corys & Plants

frida

Fish Fanatic
Joined
Jun 29, 2009
Messages
179
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
London
Hello!
Another newbie question I'm afraid... I have read many times that corydoras like to have sand as a substrate as it's more gentle on their barbels. However, what about planted tanks? Will they be okay with a cover of small plants (kind of like Hemianthus callitrichoides, or even Java moss for example) or do they need some sand to sift through to be 'happy'?
 
You can grow plants in sand. But as long as the gravle is small and rounded they will be fine.
 
Hi frida :)

It's not just a matter of making them happy, it's also about the way they eat. They search through the sand or gravel, using their barbels, to find bits of food. With java moss, you can anchor a big clump by putting a stone in the middle and let them swim underneath it. Mine seem to like that, but then my tanks are more functional than they are beautiful. :D
 
Ah, okay :)
I was just wondering because I like the look of the tanks where the substrate is completely covered with green but from what you both say, it's probably a good idea to keep some sand free of plants to allow the corys to rummage around and feed from.
Thanks for your help!
 

Most reactions

Back
Top