corys- male vs. female

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

MAM

Mamalammadingdong
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
okay, read up on it here, tried to research on the web, but still need a better description. i have four panda corys, and while they are still small now, i want to be able to tell whether they are males or females when they get bigger. i've read that females are bigger than males and have a "more blunt dorsal fin". anyone know of a good website that has a picture of this difference or some sort of diagram? i need a visual aid. :unsure:
thanks!!!

hi there MAM

can't help with the website sorry - but have got albino cories in each of my tanks and have found that as they grow the females grow more quickly and just look fatter!!!! With my first ones thought one was sick and stunted as it wasn't growing as fast - then they laid eggs up and down the glass - duh :blink:

I always get my cories when they are very small - then by the time I've had them a couple of months start to notice the difference in the growth pattern and waist lines - have looked for fin difference but can never seem to get mine to stay in one place for long enough to compare them

I've also got pygmy cories in one tank and this still seemed to apply - they were just a bit harder to see as they are sooooooo small :rolleyes:

regards - sue

hey thanks for the link!!! i think i figured it out. the males look to have longer dorsals that sort of narrow as it goes out, the females is "blunter", shorter and rounder.
thanks for the help everyone, can't wait for my pandas to get bigger so i can see what they are. :D

Hello, Many a Molly :D

With 4 pandas, chances age good that you have both sexes represented. I usually suggest buying 6 of any type you want to breed so that you will have both when they grow.

But pandas are pretty easy to tell apart by size as they mature. There is a definite difference. As yours get older you will be able to tell at a glance which are male and which are female.

Most reactions

Back