Corydoras & Whitespot

mark4785

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Hi there,

One of my white coloured Corydoras cat fish has developed whitespot disease as he has several sugar lump sized white marks on his body. It would appear these marks are causing it to go into shock because the gill movement is going at a rate of 6 to 7 movements per second (he still has his buoyancy and is swimming normally despite this) . This fish has been hiding for about a week now amongst Crypts and Eleocharis acicularis grass so I had no chance of knowing that it had this disease.

I have treated the aquarium with WaterLife Protozin which is specifically for Whitespot and I'm ensuring the temperature of the water is 27 degrees C to speed up the metabolic rate of the parasite so the medication can catch the free-swimming form of the parasite quicker.

I'd like to add that the fish has not been subjected to any stressors like temperature change, poor diet or nipping. The only thing that I can think may have brought on the whitespot is the fact that another white coloured Corydoras fish (which it followed) died around 2 weeks ago. I went to observe the aquarium one morning and I found it upside down with popeye. Again, it had been hiding in the exact same place as the fish which is ill at present so I didn't have the opportunity to inspect it's state of health.

Could the deceased Corydoras had died from a bacterial infection near the eye-socket area (hence, resulting in Popeye disease) as a result of white spots developing near the eyes?
Also, as I have no experience with Whitespot, how difficult is it to treat? I fear I've perhaps put the whitespot treatment in quite late due to the fishes hobby of hiding from me.

I'm continuing to treat the water. It's mouth and gills are still going are still moving 6-7 times per second. It occasionally stops doing this. It is responding to food.

Can a chattering mouth be a sign of breeding behaviour?

Protozin is IMO the best white spot product and I have treated a tank containing cories before with success. I did reduce the dosage slightly though as it says to. Cories are really sensitive, I have lost cories using algae treatment so I have to be extra careful about meds and treatments with them. Sometimes they don't react well at all to it

Protozin is IMO the best white spot product and I have treated a tank containing cories before with success. I did reduce the dosage slightly though as it says to. Cories are really sensitive, I have lost cories using algae treatment so I have to be extra careful about meds and treatments with them. Sometimes they don't react well at all to it

Great to hear that Protozin is effective. How long did it take for you to defeat the white spot disease using Protozin?

One course for my (at the time 380lt tank) And it hammered it in one bottle) I made the mistake of using a cheap brand first and it did nothing (pets at home I love fish treatment) I raised the temp and it worked great. If you see any listlessness you could try doing a big water change. Wait a day and then add a reduced dose of the meds

balajake said:
One course for my (at the time 380lt tank) And it hammered it in one bottle) I made the mistake of using a cheap brand first and it did nothing (pets at home I love fish treatment) I raised the temp and it worked great. If you see any listlessness you could try doing a big water change. Wait a day and then add a reduced dose of the meds

The white spot has spread to some degree on the affected Corydoras and the gill movement is still very rapid. I think the white spot has permanently damaged it's gills so they can't function properly.

The treatment has stopped it from spreading to all the other fish thankfully.

I'm adding a 1/4 less of the recommended dose and I haven't seen any listlessness yet. I will do a substantial water change if they begin to behave differently.

Thanks.

im now on round 2 of waterlife protozin using full dose this time round..i have corys...no deaths as of yet...this ich just isnt going :( im going to stalk this thread just incase someone has a genius idea! :good:

Most reactions

trending

Back