FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

CassCats

Fish Aficionado
Pet of the Month 🎖️
2x Tank of the Month🏆
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
Setting up my corydoras weitzmani to breed them, since they are the species I really wanted to breed but all my other fish decided to breed on their own, so I hadn't had the chance to set these guys up yet.
But, now I've got fry raising downpact well, and some fry have moved on to new homes, i am now setting these guys up to breed.

Species: Corydoras Weitzmani
Number of fish: 4
Number of males: 3
Number of females: 1
Size of Breeding Set up: approx 20 gallons
24"×16"Dx20"H
Plants: No
Heated: No
Temperature: 78F
Furniture: Driftwood, leaf litter, and sand. May use artificial spawning mops as preferred by this species.
Filtration: sponge
Lighting: natural lighting from room

Stages:
Set up
Conditioning
Water changes to induce spawning
Egg collection
Parents returned to community tank
Fry rearing

Notes:
Species is shy, so opaque tote to be used with blackwater setting to keep lighting dim to help keep them settled.

20200531_195337.jpg
20200625_120949.jpg
20200223_090048.jpg
20200223_085325.jpg

Got the breeding tote filled, added some oak leaves that need to sink, tannins from rooibos tea, and an empty internal filter to keep the water moving. Going to let it sit for a day or two to let the leaves sink. Then ill add my 4 corydoras weitzmani.
Filter set on high current, will stay this way to imitate a fast rain-filled river.

Current temperature: 73F no heater

20200831_192324.jpg

Got the breeding tote filled, added some oak leaves that need to sink, tannins from rooibos tea, and an empty internal filter to keep the water moving. Going to let it sit for a day or two to let the leaves sink. Then ill add my 4 corydoras weitzmani.
Filter set on high current, will stay this way to imitate a fast rain-filled river.

Current temperature: 73F no heater

View attachment 114813
Cool! What do you do about cycling/filtration? Or is it not needed since you'll probably be doing lots of water changes to stimulate spawning anyway?

Crossing fingers they go at it like bunnies! :cool:

Will you be feeding them some live critters?

Cool! What do you do about cycling/filtration? Or is it not needed since you'll probably be doing lots of water changes to stimulate spawning anyway?

Crossing fingers they go at it like bunnies! :cool:
When I transfer them over I will also add some cycled media to the filter.

Will you be feeding them some live critters?
Frozen OmegaOne Super Carnivore and live baby brine shrimp.

Ive got some scuds too, though small culture so iffy on if I'd try them yet.

Are these what they call saddleback Cories?
Yes, common name is Two Saddle Corydoras

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back