Corydoras Disappearance

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

mark4785

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I recently treated one of my Corydoras for the Pop-eye condition which it acquired after eating the flesh of a deceased Black Neon Tetra. I decided to turn the fish tank lights off for 48 hours to allow it to rest and recover.

On turning the fish tank lights back on I cannot find this fish. I have checked behind the filtration unit, power-heads, have sifted through the sand, and have checked the ballast to factor in that it may have jumped out of the water and got lodged there. I am not able to find this fish in any of these locations.

Are Corydoras intelligent enough to aim for openings in the lid so as to escape? Any pointers/tips would be good at this point. 

Note: I'm not 100% sure if it is deceased as there is no bad odour emanating from the aquarium.

They are intelligent enough, but they won't escape that way.
Think it died and was eaten bij snails, shrimp, bacteria, other fish, aso

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G925F met Tapatalk

I was missing a fish once and couldn't find it anywhere....until I removed a rock in the tank. It had squeezed in behind and under and could not be seen from any angle. So the Cory could still be there somewhere.

DoubleDutch said:

In 48 hours it can be eaten beyond recognition? There are only 2mm snails in there with 2 other Corydoras. Its basically a quarantine tank which is barely stocked. 

Depending on the species of snail and the snails size and numbers (and the fishes size) I have seen snails basically skelatonise a fish in a very short amount of time. If there where a lot of snails and the cory was only fairly small ie not full grown, then I have no doubt that a swarm of snails could reduce a fish to nearly only some bones in as little as a day or two.

mark4785 said:

In 48 hours it can be eaten beyond recognition? There are only 2mm snails in there with 2 other Corydoras. Its basically a quarantine tank which is barely stocked. 
That quite fast, but more likely than jumping out.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back