Corydora-Melafix

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

No, Merlafix and all similar products are not safe for cories, or most other fish (especially soft water species) for that matter. I used the Malafix several years ago (9, maybe 10, before I knew about fish physiology), following the instructions, and by the third day it was obvious my cories were seriously suffering. A massive water change and nothing else dealt with the issue, and the cories are still with me.

Thanks, Byron. That’s what I had been told.

I concur with the above, please do not use Melafix.

I do also suggest getting more. 5 more albino minimum and 5 more “brown”. (I assume it’s a bronze Corydoras?)
Yeah it’s a bronze one. So 5 more of each? My tank is only a 60L tank so I was going to get 2 more albinos and 2 more bronze would that be okay? I did the 75% water change last night and got most of the melafix out and tested the waters ph, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate which are all good. Ph is a little bit high and I have just checked my fish before leaving for work this morning and they all seem to be doing fine so far.

Than
No, Merlafix and all similar products are not safe for cories, or most other fish (especially soft water species) for that matter. I used the Malafix several years ago (9, maybe 10, before I knew about fish physiology), following the instructions, and by the third day it was obvious my cories were seriously suffering. A massive water change and nothing else dealt with the issue, and the cories are still with me.
Thanks for that advice, I’m never using melafix again .... I watched so many YouTube videos saying it was good and some saying it was bad so I got confused but now I know!

Yeah it’s a bronze one. So 5 more of each? My tank is only a 60L tank so I was going to get 2 more albinos and 2 more bronze would that be okay? I did the 75% water change last night and got most of the melafix out and tested the waters ph, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate which are all good. Ph is a little bit high and I have just checked my fish before leaving for work this morning and they all seem to be doing fine so far.
6 in total is fine - they will be much happier and more relaxed

6 in total is fine - they will be much happier and more relaxed
Okay thank you! I only joined this fish forum a few months ago but all you members have been the most helpful people with fish advice I really appreciate it :)

Than

Thanks for that advice, I’m never using melafix again .... I watched so many YouTube videos saying it was good and some saying it was bad so I got confused but now I know!
Melafix is great on goldfish/pond fish. Not much else. Your tank is about 15 U.S. gallons. If you only have them and the gourami, I would get 3 more of both the bronze and albino. They’ll group together and don’t want to overcrowd.

But they do appreciate being with their own kind... (as far as specific species go)

But they do appreciate being with their own kind... (as far as specific species go)
"Albino" isn't a species. Chances are high that the albino one is corydoras aeneus the same species as the bronze cory. Although it could be a different species of cory, she'd need to know which one in order to get more of the same. But three of each species is plenty in a 60L tank. @NCaquatics might be able to tell which species the albino cory is.

Melafix is great on goldfish/pond fish. Not much else. Your tank is about 15 U.S. gallons. If you only have them and the gourami, I would get 3 more of both the bronze and albino. They’ll group together and don’t want to overcrowd.
Noo I also have 8 neon tetras and 1 pleco

Okay thank you! I only joined this fish forum a few months ago but all you members have been the most helpful people with fish advice I really appreciate it :)
They’re good on here.
When the ice caps melt and the worlds covered in water. The fish are gonna erect underwater statues of the more knowledgeable board members.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back