Cory question

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

NinjaSmurf

Devils Advocate
Reaction score
Okay, not a real big expert on corys so I have no idea what the little whiskers they have are called, but I have two of the same kind that I bought in the same place, and the one (Spaz) has whiskers that are long, stick out and almost look like little fangs. The other cory (Freckles) whiskers are pretty short and are hardly ever poking out. I've also noticed that the Freckles often follows Spaz whenever Spaz decides to go somewhere else. Do I have a pair or are they just different? If this is a way to sex them I'd really like to know for when I go to buy more.

They're called barabels and they use them to find food. They should be long though rough or sharp gravel can wear them down quickly. Most likely the other is following because it can't find food on it's own. What kind of substrate do you have?

Cory's are schooling fish so they usually stick together. It might be a pair but could also be 2 males or 2 females. If you have room in your tank i suggest getting 2-3 additional cories of the same kind.

It's really hard to sex a cory (unless you happen to be one yourself :lol:).

I have smooth stones ranging in size, but I noticed the barabels were tiny after I put it in the tank with the other one. (I originally got two, but one died, so I had to get another one) I was just wondering because I wasn't sure if this was normal or if it was a way to sex them because I plan on buying more soon and was hoping to get pairs, but I guess I'll just get a bunch and let them figure it out ;)

Most likely then it was the gravel at the place you got them at which wore them down. They do grow back though it takes time. Since you have smooth pebbles it shouldn't cause anymore problems for them.

Most reactions

Back