Cory Cats

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Mike&Diana

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hello! I've been reading that cory cats require a certain type of gravel or else it will hurt them. I just have standard normal Wal-Mart gravel. Is this stuff ok? It looks like the same type that most of the lps carry. Thanks everyone!

Mike

I don't know what kind of gravel walmart sell, but we try and use Dorset Pea gravel or sand for Corys - although we have some standard gravel in 2 tanks with Corys in and they have no problems.

Yes, Corys prefer fine gravel or sand as a substrate because their barbels/whiskers are easily damaged when rumaging through large piecies of gravel.

Good Luck :)

Silica sand really is the best substrate for Corys, best way to test it is to rub some between thumb and finger, if it feels rough/sharp then it is not suitable.
Dorset Pea Gravel comes straight off the Chesil bank and will affect Ph in some aquariums due to the small pieces of shell, to Corys it is a bit like trying to move rocks to find their dinner.

I'm using blue "wal-mart" gravel with my albinos. It definitely will not heard them, unless you're using that horrible neon gravel they have. The only problem is that the food gets stuck under the gravel and the corys can't get to it. Also, their gravel quickly loses color, so watch out for that.

Thank you for the responses. I will continue to use the gravel I currently have. I am confident the cories will do just fine! Again, thanks for the help!

Mike

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back