The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

AdoraBelle Dearheart

Nutty fish nutter
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
Hi guys!
I'm having trouble with safely catching cories. Have heard never to use a net, since their defensive barbs can get caught in the netting and injure them. Makes sense! But really struggling to find a good technique and equipment to move month old cory fry, pygmy cories, and bronze cories of different sizes. When I've searched youtube vids, can't find any specifically about how to catch cories (and plecos, since I'll need to move mine soon), and all the vids I found where someone was transferring cories, they'd used a net.
I had to rehome some young pygmies recently since my tank was STOCKED, and they're still spawning - I asked a hobbyist friend of mine who was taking a batch, what the best way to catch them was. He suggested a tupperware, trapping the cory against the glass and moving it up. In my heavily planted tank, this proved impossible since I needed to catch 16 of them, and the old, young and mid-sized are all in a breeding colony, so I needed to catch large batches and move to another container to sort which would return to the tank and which would go to new homes. I also tried using a large deep disposable cup, hoping it being deeper would stop them escaping like they did with the tupperware. But fish dodged around it, only managed to catch one that way! I was worried about their stress levels, herding them gently around the tank with my hand to drive them towards the tub/cup, but pygmies spook easily, and having to do it repeatedly... I hate stressing fish out so much, especially when they then have to go through the stress of acclimating to a new home right after...

Friend said that if you resort to a net, then put some sand in the bottom of the net, so I ended up doing that. But one of the pygmies I kept was injured, had a bloody spot on his side where the barb would be. Felt awful, and frustrated! Fortunately, the fish gradually healed and seemed okay, no losses. And the eight youngsters I gave to my friend ended up spawning the day after they were introduced into their new tank :lol: But I never want to hurt one by catching them again.

When I take down my large cory tank, I plan to drop the water level really low before attempted to catch the cories. Not a problem if the tank is emptied of plant and hardscape. But the trouble with catching a few individuals from a heavily planted established tank, is that dropping the water level just leaves a dense mass of plant matter for them to hide in, and no room to move the container around to catch in.

There must be better ways, teach me! Share your catching wisdom, or any videos/articles you recommend!

Hi guys!
I'm having trouble with safely catching cories. Have heard never to use a net, since their defensive barbs can get caught in the netting and injure them. Makes sense! But really struggling to find a good technique and equipment to move month old cory fry, pygmy cories, and bronze cories of different sizes. When I've searched youtube vids, can't find any specifically about how to catch cories (and plecos, since I'll need to move mine soon), and all the vids I found where someone was transferring cories, they'd used a net.
I had to rehome some young pygmies recently since my tank was STOCKED, and they're still spawning - I asked a hobbyist friend of mine who was taking a batch, what the best way to catch them was. He suggested a tupperware, trapping the cory against the glass and moving it up. In my heavily planted tank, this proved impossible since I needed to catch 16 of them, and the old, young and mid-sized are all in a breeding colony, so I needed to catch large batches and move to another container to sort which would return to the tank and which would go to new homes. I also tried using a large deep disposable cup, hoping it being deeper would stop them escaping like they did with the tupperware. But fish dodged around it, only managed to catch one that way! I was worried about their stress levels, herding them gently around the tank with my hand to drive them towards the tub/cup, but pygmies spook easily, and having to do it repeatedly... I hate stressing fish out so much, especially when they then have to go through the stress of acclimating to a new home right after...

Friend said that if you resort to a net, then put some sand in the bottom of the net, so I ended up doing that. But one of the pygmies I kept was injured, had a bloody spot on his side where the barb would be. Felt awful, and frustrated! Fortunately, the fish gradually healed and seemed okay, no losses. And the eight youngsters I gave to my friend ended up spawning the day after they were introduced into their new tank :lol: But I never want to hurt one by catching them again.

When I take down my large cory tank, I plan to drop the water level really low before attempted to catch the cories. Not a problem if the tank is emptied of plant and hardscape. But the trouble with catching a few individuals from a heavily planted established tank, is that dropping the water level just leaves a dense mass of plant matter for them to hide in, and no room to move the container around to catch in.

There must be better ways, teach me! Share your catching wisdom, or any videos/articles you recommend!
this is probably a stupid option to use but i used a smooth fishstore bag

this is probably a stupid option to use but i used a smooth fishstore bag
Not stupid at all! It would be very gentle, not hurting their barbels or spiny barb things, and if it works, it works!
I managed to catch three of my youngers that needed to move to another tank today, using plastic tubs! It was a but tricky, but I think I'll improve with practice!
Now just to figure out how to move the 50 odd bronze or sterbai two week old fry safely... they're too big for the turkey baster/airline syphon method, too small and in too small a breeder box to use a plastic container. Hmmmm...

I have never had a problem catching Corydoras with a net.
Loaches and Pictus catfish are a pain in the blank to catch but Cories are fine.

If you are really concerned, use the white fine mesh nets.

Last edited:
Use a superfine net

That was my thought too! I ended up using my superfine shrimp net when sorting through the ones I'd collected, and I think that's how my pygmy got injured though :( Wondering if superfine is even more risky for trapping one of those spines than a larger mesh would, you know? Harder for the cory to escape if the spine is stuck in a very small hole.

Hi!
If they're in a breeder box could you put the bag under/ around the box and lift the whole thing out?
Hi! Happy to see that you're still here!:friends:

Now that could work!! Could even just lift the whole breeder box out and move it straight to a container of their tank water, then release them into there. I want to count them and get a good look at them all (I've never had so many hatch and live this long! Honestly shocked to have 40-50 of them, with no losses that I'm aware of so far *touch wood*) Also exciting that I don't know whether they're bronzes or sterbai's! Would be amazing if they're sterbai's, mine have never spawned yet. Plus more valuable. But it's probably the bronzes, since they've had three previous spawns.
Then I can acclimate them in the container to the new tank. When they're newly hatched wigglers, I move them using a turkey baster. Feels a bit cruel sucking them up there, but casscats recommended it to me, and hey, it works, lol. But they're a bit too big for that now. Could probably use the large critter keeper to empty them from the breeder net, then small plastic containers to catch them gently and slowly and move them to their nursery/grow out. Or, syphon them using the hose from a gravel cleaner since it's wider perhaps.

What do you use to catch cories and plecos? I'm hoping to spot my plecs in one of their caves once it comes time to move them, so I can just cover the end and lift them straight out! If not, hopefully the tupperware trick works, because they're still quite small and super fast.

I have never had a problem catching Corydoras with a net.
:p While I'm very happy to see you @Colin_T , it's annoying that in all your years, you've never had any of the problems I seem to have when I'm only three years in! :p:lol:

So you use a net for any fish, and no issues? There's a chance that the one that blood on it's side had banged into something while trying to avoid being caught, and it wasn't the net. But given where the spot was, on the side and closer to the front fins, and that it looked like internal bleeding, I think the barb/spine thing getting caught in the net (what are those defensive spines actually called?!)

Loaches and Pictus catfish are a pain in the blank to catch but Cories are fine.

If you are really concerned, use the white fine mesh nets.

I'm suspecting that the fine nets like the one I used are even more likely to trap one of their barbs tightly, making it harder for them to wriggle free. Perhaps a looser weave net would actually be safer!

That was my thought too! I ended up using my superfine shrimp net when sorting through the ones I'd collected, and I think that's how my pygmy got injured though :( Wondering if superfine is even more risky for trapping one of those spines than a larger mesh would, you know? Harder for the cory to escape if the spine is stuck in a very small hole.
hmm. A couple of months ago i was adding a cory to my tank but my net was not fine. It got stuck. After leaving it for about an hour just hanging in the tank, it relaxed itself enough to get itself out

hmm. A couple of months ago i was adding a cory to my tank but my net was not fine. It got stuck. After leaving it for about an hour just hanging in the tank, it relaxed itself enough to get itself out
Oh man, poor little guy! That must have been scary. Glad he was okay in the end!
I'm relieved that my pygmy with the spine/barb (does anyone know what they're called? Please? Driving me mad not knowing what to call them!) recovered. I'd been happy to find two great homes, taking 8 cories each, but trying to catch them was so stressful... for them and for me! Then later that evening I saw the blood spot on that one, and was gutted. But the spot got smaller over the following days and he kept eating/chilling/swimming with the others, and it healed on it's own.

@Naughts Agreed, cories are the hardest fish to catch that I've owned anyway! I also moved my five elderly male guppies today, and they were so easy to scoop up, it's ridiculous. I only wanted to scoop a jug of water, and immediately one of them went into the jug. Cories are definitely smarter, with more evasive techniques up their fins!

And thank you for the congrats on the cory fry :D :wub: They're adorable. Still can't believe there are so many. Bit nervous about moving them to a different tank since they're doing well where they are, even though the water is almost the same. Cory fry are so sensitive, and large losses so common, it makes me nervous. Like maybe I should give them another week or so where they are. But conflicted part of me thinks 40-50 growing babies in a tiny breeder box isn't great. Worked great when they were eggs and tiny wrigglers, but they might do better now they're bigger with more space to swim and get strong. They're about 3-4 weeks old now.
Will try to remember to take some photos or video of them, and the giant pygmy colony. The pygmies were spawning again today! They don't stop, lol. Love it. But I've been slacking on my fish photography.

How's you and your fish?

So you use a net for any fish, and no issues?
No. I use green nets for most fish and the white fine mesh nets for catfish and loaches. The fine mesh stops them putting their entire pectoral fin through the gaps and getting tangled up. If that happens you either cut the net off the fin or leave the fish and net in a container of water and when the fish relaxes, it usually comes out of the net.

The other way to get them out is a square plastic container put in the aquarium and use a net to guide them into the container. Then lift them out.

I think barbels means those whisker type appendages on their face that they use to search for food. I'm determined to find out what their defensive spines/barbs are called! :lol:
You are correct. Heres a quote from some random website:
"To protect themselves from predation, Corydoras have evolved serrated spines in their dorsal and pectoral fins that can be locked in place when threatened. Furthermore, the pectoral spines, and in some cases the dorsal spines, are associated with so-called axillary glands that open at the base of the spines. "https://aquazone-indo.com/index.php/2021/10/19/keen-on-corys/#:~:text=To protect themselves from predation,the base of the spines.

Cant find the scientific name tho...

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back