Correct Kind Of Ammonia For Fish-Less Cycle

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

rk4n3

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm going to be starting a fish-less cycle on my new 29-gal tank, and I went to look for ammonia with uncertain results.

I found one (at Walgreens) that had ingredients as ammonium hydroxide (which I understand is "ammonia") and "surfactant".  I think surfactant is some kind of lubricant/soap, but I'm not sure.  When I shook the bottle, it foamed up - and the liquid looked a bit thick.  So, I skipped that one.

The closest I've found so far is at WalMart, and the ingredients say ammonia and "surfactant", but when I shake this bottle, there's no foam or extra "stuff" apparent, and the liquid is thin as water, as I would expect.

Will I be OK with the WalMart version, or do I have to worry about the "surfactant" ?

If the surfactant is a problem, where can I get just plain/pure ammonia ?

Sincere thanks,
rk4n3

Depending on where you live, you may not be able to get it. Where I live, it is illegal to sell pure ammonia, as it is used for the making of illegal drugs. I found the same product at wal mart and started to use it, but I'm worried it is stalling my cycles.

Wow ... thanks for confirmation of the question.  I hope that someone can give us a definitive answer, I'd hate to use the product and cause some kind of irreparable or troublesome condition in my new tank.

Since you are in the states, you have an alternative which is an ammonium chloride solution which you can find here https://store.drtimsaquatics.com/Ammonium-Chloride-Solution-for-Fishless-Cycling_p_190.html

You do not have to buy the bacteria.

For curious folks with a scientific DIY bent, ammonium chloride is a cheap easy to purchase powder. With a good scale, some beaker type stuff and ro/di water one can make their own solution. Its so much easier to buy Dr Tim's though.

Thanks TwoTankAmin - very helpful !

I actually did find some pure ammonia just a few minutes ago - Ace Hardware sells it.

Thanks for the info :)

rk4n3 said:
Thanks TwoTankAmin - very helpful !

I actually did find some pure ammonia just a few minutes ago - Ace Hardware sells it.

Thanks for the info
smile.png

I was about to mention that.  Its where I got mine.

Most reactions

trending

Back