Coronavirus...post your thoughts here...

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

I feel most of us eventually "will" get covid at some point or other. I like many, went through it. I am older and I chose to work through the pandemic rather than hiding at home and getting a check, yes, I had that choice. Eventually I got it and got over it. It hit me hard and got over it as most of my family, wife and friends did. I admit at the beginning of the pandemic it was rough and unfortunately some lost their lives but at this point it's pretty weak and we must move on. I'm glad many places here in the states lifted the mandates a long time ago.

Last edited:
Recently in uk, my wife was admitted to a ward in hospital. Having breast cancer treatment in the past and ongoing health issues, her immune system and general state of health is poor. She was out on a ward with 3 confirmed covid cases (which she only found out by overhearing the receptionist) after queering with a member of staff why she had been put on a ward with people confirmed with covid, they first responded with ‘how did you find that out?. She was then moved ward. But I, her husband and registered carer, am not allowed into hospital with her in case I have covid…

Recently in uk, my wife was admitted to a ward in hospital. Having breast cancer treatment in the past and ongoing health issues, her immune system and general state of health is poor. She was out on a ward with 3 confirmed covid cases (which she only found out by overhearing the receptionist) after queering with a member of staff why she had been put on a ward with people confirmed with covid, they first responded with ‘how did you find that out?. She was then moved ward. But I, her husband and registered carer, am not allowed into hospital with her in case I have covid…
I would make a formal complaint to the NHS Trust that your hospital falls under.

Do it in writing (keep a copy) and address it to two parties.....the Matron/Head of Nursing and the Patient Liason Service (all NHS hospitals and private hospitals, must by law have one)

Outline what you discovered in detail.

The Matron/Head of Nursing will arrange a meeting at your home to discuss what has happened and will sort any issues on that ward and ensure it is not repeated anywhere else in the hospital.

Back in 2010 I had major surgery, was an inpatient for 10 days and sent home on the bus with a 12" wound that stitches had not held and was infected, also and worse still a patient in the bed next to me had a mastectomy and was sent home the same day despite not knowing what day of the week it was, still having her drains in place, she was handed her painkillers in a bag and discharged. I wrote a formal letter of complaint to the Trust's Head of Nursing outlining everything, even had another patient give a witness statement. The Head of Nursing came to my home, we had a long discussion lasting almost 3 hours. She contacted me a week afterwards to let me know that 3 nurses, including a staff nurse, had been fired and the other nurses on the ward who had formed an almost "clique" had been split up and sent to other parts of the hospital. A few months later I had to go back into the same hospital for more surgery. This time the treatment was significantly better, the nursing was far more attentive and there were none of the issues regarding discharge too soon on any of the patients, myself included.

Do not let them get away with sloppy practices.

Update from Western Australia.

One week after removing mask laws and letting close contacts out in public, and there has been a huge spike in covid19 case numbers. When masks were compulsory there were around 5000 new cases a day. Today, just one week after the mask laws were removed and we have over 10,000 new cases yesterday. The number of people in hospital with covid has doubled, as has the number of people dying from covid. But the government is no longer saying they died from covid, only they had covid at the time of death.

It doesn't matter how they phrase it, people are dying because the government removed mask laws when we are in a major outbreak of a world wide pandemic.

The government does not think there is a problem and are not changing their mind about reinstating mask laws in public places. So we can expect case numbers to skyrocket.

The hospital system in this state has been rubbish for years with ambulance ramping and waiting times for hospital beds taking up to 12 hours or more. The hospitals are at capacity now and the mask laws have only been dropped for one week.

I will probably catch covid in a couple of weeks when I have to go shopping for food. Then I will be in hospital on a ventilator. I can't believe the government here. They are fuplie idiots.

WA has been black listed from most of the states on the other side of the country due to the outbreak and numbers of infected people here.

And WA has opened its border to the UK and has organised direct flights from the UK to Perth in Western Australia. So for any of you UK members that haven't had the virus, or want it again, feel free to hop on a plane, spend 20 hours in the air, get frisked at the airport and then catch Omicron from our lovely contaminated city. You will then have to go into quarantine for one week, so make sure you add that extra week to your holiday expenses.

Recently went to Washington DC on a school trip. Only 3 kids wore masks including me in museums and airports. Dumb luck that I happened to get sick. No one else got Covid. First time. I have a sore throat, my tonsils are absolutely massive and very pale, a headache, lots of mucous clogging not my nose but my throat, and I’m coughing/sneezing a lot.
DE22E3E3-BAB3-4EC3-8779-9A3349B585DE.jpeg

Update from Western Australia (WA).

My neighbour has covid. She got the call on Friday evening when I was outside talking to her. She is a home care nurse (goes to people's houses and does cleaning, cooking or takes them shopping. She takes precautions and wears a mask at all times but still got it from one of her clients. Her client got it from their family who visited her and didn't wear masks. Her client has major health issues and the family members went to visit and didn't wear masks during a major outbreak of the pandemic. This is how stupid some people are in this country.

Due to our units being tiny and right next to each other, I have all 3 windows shut (2 windows look into the garage and 1 is from the kitchen) and the doors shut but don't know how long I can deal with this. These units are tiny and I live and sleep in the kitchen/ loungeroom because there is carpet in the bedroom and I can't deal with carpets due to my lung issues. The bedroom isn't big anyway (12ft x 9ft). So I'm sitting here waiting for symptoms to show. :(

----------------
The WA government still hasn't reinstated mask laws in public places even though the public health system is on the verge of collapsing. We get between 15,000 & 19,000 new cases of covid each day. The only places you have to wear a mask is hospital or a retirement/ aged care facility. And people in hospital are catching the virus so something isn't working right.

Half the ambulance officers (paramedics) are in quarantine due to covid.

Hospitals are running with less than half the staff they normally have due to being in quarantine for covid.

The government even blamed local GPs (general practitioners/ doctors) for the failing health system. Saying local doctors should be treating covid patients instead of sending them to hospitals. The government has had 5 years to do something about the health system and hasn't done anything to fix it during that time. And previous state governments haven't done anything either. So our public health system is about 20 years behind where it should be, and it's gonna crash sometime this week.

A lady died from a heart attack last week while waiting for an ambulance. Other people are dying at home because the ambulances can't get to them due to lack of drivers and medical staff. And people are dying outside hospitals while waiting for beds to become available.

This is Western Australia ffs. It's not a remote town 500kms from nowhere. This is happening in Perth and Perth is the capital city of the state. It is the year 2022 and we have people waiting 12 hours or more to get into hospital and dying at home because they can't get there. And the government has the nerve to blame doctors for the problem and refuses to reinstate mask laws or making close contacts stay home even though there are nearly 20,000 people a day being diagnosed with covid19.

Did you get your booster shots? The new variant does not affect people as strongly as the initial covid strain, especially if you had all the shots including boosters.

About 3000 new cases arise per day in my state of 7 million people.

Update from Western Australia (WA).

My neighbour has covid. She got the call on Friday evening when I was outside talking to her. She is a home care nurse (goes to people's houses and does cleaning, cooking or takes them shopping. She takes precautions and wears a mask at all times but still got it from one of her clients. Her client got it from their family who visited her and didn't wear masks. Her client has major health issues and the family members went to visit and didn't wear masks during a major outbreak of the pandemic. This is how stupid some people are in this country.

Due to our units being tiny and right next to each other, I have all 3 windows shut (2 windows look into the garage and 1 is from the kitchen) and the doors shut but don't know how long I can deal with this. These units are tiny and I live and sleep in the kitchen/ loungeroom because there is carpet in the bedroom and I can't deal with carpets due to my lung issues. The bedroom isn't big anyway (12ft x 9ft). So I'm sitting here waiting for symptoms to show. :(

----------------
The WA government still hasn't reinstated mask laws in public places even though the public health system is on the verge of collapsing. We get between 15,000 & 19,000 new cases of covid each day. The only places you have to wear a mask is hospital or a retirement/ aged care facility. And people in hospital are catching the virus so something isn't working right.

Half the ambulance officers (paramedics) are in quarantine due to covid.

Hospitals are running with less than half the staff they normally have due to being in quarantine for covid.

The government even blamed local GPs (general practitioners/ doctors) for the failing health system. Saying local doctors should be treating covid patients instead of sending them to hospitals. The government has had 5 years to do something about the health system and hasn't done anything to fix it during that time. And previous state governments haven't done anything either. So our public health system is about 20 years behind where it should be, and it's gonna crash sometime this week.

A lady died from a heart attack last week while waiting for an ambulance. Other people are dying at home because the ambulances can't get to them due to lack of drivers and medical staff. And people are dying outside hospitals while waiting for beds to become available.

This is Western Australia ffs. It's not a remote town 500kms from nowhere. This is happening in Perth and Perth is the capital city of the state. It is the year 2022 and we have people waiting 12 hours or more to get into hospital and dying at home because they can't get there. And the government has the nerve to blame doctors for the problem and refuses to reinstate mask laws or making close contacts stay home even though there are nearly 20,000 people a day being diagnosed with covid19.
Studies have shown that you can worry yourself sick. Stay calm.

Well, the stupid school system in the town I am unlucky enough to be stuck in has reinstated the stupid mask "inside any town building". Well, riddle me this. If you're forcing kids again to wear masks INSIDE, but once they step outside they can take it off and be within inches of each other, what exactly does it accomplish other than give these bureaucrats their power trip fix and an excuse to say they've "done their job"? I HATE THIS. it is so stupid, I'm about to flip out on every single "person in charge". Useless puppets with a taste for forcing others to do things.

Well, the stupid school system in the town I am unlucky enough to be stuck in has reinstated the stupid mask "inside any town building". Well, riddle me this. If you're forcing kids again to wear masks INSIDE, but once they step outside they can take it off and be within inches of each other, what exactly does it accomplish other than give these bureaucrats their power trip fix and an excuse to say they've "done their job"? I HATE THIS. it is so stupid, I'm about to flip out on every single "person in charge". Useless puppets with a taste for forcing others to do things.
It is very very stupid.

It is very very stupid.
On a parent group chat I simply asked if they thought it was pointless with barely a month left of school. Two mothers immediately got all huffy about it. They can't answer however this simple question: "if the shots work, why so many and why masks. If masks work, why the multiple shots. If BOTH work, then why not let personal choice reign supreme". The answer, word by word:
"well that's your opinion and since the school district reinstated the mandate we all should do as we are told".

I live amongst sheep. And I hate it

On a parent group chat I simply asked if they thought it was pointless with barely a month left of school. Two mothers immediately got all huffy about it. They can't answer however this simple question: "if the shots work, why so many and why masks. If masks work, why the multiple shots. If BOTH work, then why not let personal choice reign supreme". The answer, word by word:
"well that's your opinion and since the school district reinstated the mandate we all should do as we are told".
The vaccines do work against the original strain and the Delta strains, but does nothing to stop you catching or spreading the Omicron strain, which has mutated to such a degree it bypasses the vaccine and immune system's response to the vaccine.

Masks do work to help reduce the spread of the virus if they are the correct type of mask and they are worn properly. However, most of the masks I see around here are not suitable, nor are they worn correctly, so are useless.

Social distancing by 2 meters (6 feet) helps with the original and Delta strains but you need to at least double the distance for Omicron, probably even more. Stay 20-30 feet away from Omicron carriers, which is a bit hard to do in most places.

Did you get your booster shots? The new variant does not affect people as strongly as the initial covid strain, especially if you had all the shots including boosters.
I've had 2 vaccines and both put immense pressure on my heart.
The Omicron strain bypasses the vaccine so I'm not getting it.

The Omicron strain affects the esophagus and throat more than the lungs but I'm screwed regardless of the virus. Any virus can kill me due to my health issues.

-----------------------
About 3000 new cases arise per day in my state of 7 million people.
We only have 2 million people in WA and about 1 million in Perth, so about 10% of the population currently has the virus.

Mrs. Slap became ill last weekend, and tested positive for covid Tuesday night...she has stayed home since then, mild symptoms, and has since recovered.

I worked from home Wed-Fri, since I had been exposed...started feeling "weird" Thursday night...have had cold-like symptoms, but nothing severe...home-tested positive last night, so working from home today and until I test negative

I *suppose* it's the OmniCorn variant, there's been so many, it's hard to keep up

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back