Coronavirus...post your thoughts here...

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Update from Western Australia (WA).

My neighbour has covid. She got the call on Friday evening when I was outside talking to her. She is a home care nurse (goes to people's houses and does cleaning, cooking or takes them shopping. She takes precautions and wears a mask at all times but still got it from one of her clients. Her client got it from their family who visited her and didn't wear masks. Her client has major health issues and the family members went to visit and didn't wear masks during a major outbreak of the pandemic. This is how stupid some people are in this country.

Due to our units being tiny and right next to each other, I have all 3 windows shut (2 windows look into the garage and 1 is from the kitchen) and the doors shut but don't know how long I can deal with this. These units are tiny and I live and sleep in the kitchen/ loungeroom because there is carpet in the bedroom and I can't deal with carpets due to my lung issues. The bedroom isn't big anyway (12ft x 9ft). So I'm sitting here waiting for symptoms to show. :(

----------------
The WA government still hasn't reinstated mask laws in public places even though the public health system is on the verge of collapsing. We get between 15,000 & 19,000 new cases of covid each day. The only places you have to wear a mask is hospital or a retirement/ aged care facility. And people in hospital are catching the virus so something isn't working right.

Half the ambulance officers (paramedics) are in quarantine due to covid.

Hospitals are running with less than half the staff they normally have due to being in quarantine for covid.

The government even blamed local GPs (general practitioners/ doctors) for the failing health system. Saying local doctors should be treating covid patients instead of sending them to hospitals. The government has had 5 years to do something about the health system and hasn't done anything to fix it during that time. And previous state governments haven't done anything either. So our public health system is about 20 years behind where it should be, and it's gonna crash sometime this week.

A lady died from a heart attack last week while waiting for an ambulance. Other people are dying at home because the ambulances can't get to them due to lack of drivers and medical staff. And people are dying outside hospitals while waiting for beds to become available.

This is Western Australia ffs. It's not a remote town 500kms from nowhere. This is happening in Perth and Perth is the capital city of the state. It is the year 2022 and we have people waiting 12 hours or more to get into hospital and dying at home because they can't get there. And the government has the nerve to blame doctors for the problem and refuses to reinstate mask laws or making close contacts stay home even though there are nearly 20,000 people a day being diagnosed with covid19.
I understand your worried but it is very different from when covid did start. Iā€™m in the uk you donā€™t legally need to stay home or wear a mask. Now so far out of 10 of us 3 have had covid and still came work 2 wore mask while indoors (not outside) 1 didnā€™t at all none of us have actually caught covid from them being at work as cases were few weeks apart each time. I personally was traveling with 1 in a car for 2 hours a day and we both wore masks and had the window down I didnā€™t get it. So just on my personal accounts Iā€™d say itā€™s probably not as contagious the media make out so Iā€™d say you be fine to open a window. On getting ill itā€™s completely random as 1 is 57 with CPOD and still a heavy smoker all he got was a runny nose and headache! One was 27 plays rugby and ended up in hospital with breathing difficulties.but covid isnā€™t going away and you are going to get it

The vaccines do work against the original strain and the Delta strains, but does nothing to stop you catching or spreading the Omicron strain, which has mutated to such a degree it bypasses the vaccine and immune system's response to the vaccine.

Masks do work to help reduce the spread of the virus if they are the correct type of mask and they are worn properly. However, most of the masks I see around here are not suitable, nor are they worn correctly, so are useless.

Social distancing by 2 meters (6 feet) helps with the original and Delta strains but you need to at least double the distance for Omicron, probably even more. Stay 20-30 feet away from Omicron carriers, which is a bit hard to do in most places.
I have never stopped traveling (where I could without having to look like an astronaut wannabe) nor have I worn a mask whenever I could be without it. Indoors, outdoors. Don't matter. I've traveled internationally and across the states. Sat across the table and spent nights with "fully vaxxed " people who in a day or two came down with a diagnosis. Either I'm the luckiest person in this town, the one with the strongest immune system, or the least worried and that has played a huge role on this. My point is, and to your point exactly @Colin_T , if you truly trust these measures, by all means carry on with them. I'm not trying to convince you to drop your mask, but I damn well do not agree with others forcing me or my my son to wear it, much less forcing us to take what is at best a mediocre "medicine", at worst a global experiment on humans on a scale never before seen in history. Over my dead body.

Honestly I donā€™t mind it that much. Iā€™ve come to except it as part of my life and I wear my mask and I get my vaccinations, so far it hasnā€™t really affected me in my life. I do think that people are very opinionated about it and that itā€™s a big discussion but itā€™s so easily avoided at least the politics of it. Covid has honestly become a part of my life and Itā€™s sometimes scary to think how adapted Iā€™ve become to it. I think that itā€™s natural for us to be kind of cut down from our podium on top of the world. I think that history is repeating itself and we havenā€™t learned much from it. Take for example the black plague. It wiped down a lot of Europe but weā€™re still here we made it to 2022 and weā€™re not dead yet so I think that we just need to crawl through this hell and make it out the other side we might have half as many people as we do now but we as people are going to survive and we are going to make it. I donā€™t care if youā€™re from the other side of the world or if youā€™re from right here in my hometown, we are going to make this and we are going to make it together I donā€™t care if youā€™re an American or if youā€™re African or British or Australian or Canadian you are people and we are going to make it through this and I donā€™t care if youā€™re scared or if you donā€™t wanna wear your mask or if you donā€™t wanna get vaccinated or if youā€™re against medication. But this is natural selection we are going to make this and if you think that you know better itā€™s your choice. It is your life and Iā€™m not going to try and change your opinion. In fact Iā€™m going to tell you to go with your opinion is your opinion is who you are. So yeah Covid sucks but by falling into the idea that we should be scared of this or that itā€™s just another part of our lives itā€™s going to tear us apart. We need to ban together as Australians as Americans as Englishman as Africans as Germans as Russians as Ukrainians, I donā€™t care youā€™re ethnicity or your skin color are your sexuality we donā€™t need to be separated by this we need to be drawn together. We have wars going on and I donā€™t care if itā€™s on the other side of the world or if itā€™s three blocks down the road, these past years have sucked Iā€™m not gonna sugarcoat it they sucked and I could use some really harsh language but Iā€™m not. I donā€™t care if youā€™re three years old or if youā€™re 102 you are going to make it through this hell in one way or another. So ya if you made it this far may whatever god you believe in bless you and if you donā€™t have a god then by golly good luck friend :hooray:

Unfortunately, Covid is still with us and still spreading.... we now have two new variants , BA 4 and BA 5 which are infecting even people who previously had Covid and/or people who are fully vaccinated. The drug companies are working on a booster to hopefully help lower infection rates for the new variants.

šŸ™„šŸ™„
Let's not lock another thread. People are dying. The shots at least help decrease severity. Let's agree on that. All the other controversial things about the virus being made for money should be avoided. We can all agree that the Corona virus is spreading still but at least decreasing a bit. But we can't change the death count and we have to remember every single 1 number is a father, mother, brother, friend, sister, aunt, uncle, or loved one...

Let's not lock another thread. People are dying. The shots at least help decrease severity. Let's agree on that. All the other controversial things about the virus being made for money should be avoided.
Please don't state that controversial statements should be avoided (good) and precede that with a controversial statement (bad).

Being unable to have strong, level-headed arguments and end either in agreement or respectful disagreement is a sign of weak societies. If ideas can't be debated, challenged and changed, what good are they for.
Agreed. My comment re: avoiding controversial statements was limited in scope to the fora at TFF, which I believe is the moderators desire.

Iā€™m by no means a anti vaccination person but do I think a rushed vaccine is helping . Probably not .as I say Iā€™m no medical professional but when people were dying I was working all around the country so people could continue to live there lives at home and havenā€™t had a single vacation and still yet to contract the virus
I do believe itā€™s scaremongering
Because if the media released how many people die per year of the common flu it makes covid look not so scary

Please don't state that controversial statements should be avoided (good) and precede that with a controversial statement (bad).
Well let's be honest. The vitus itself is not political. The controversies are. So if your a believer in that sense, see your self out of the conversation and don't make this political. There are millions of deaths from something. I believe it is the virus and you can believe what you want but you can't change the fact that millions have died.

Being unable to have strong, level-headed arguments and end either in agreement or respectful disagreement is a sign of weak societies. If ideas can't be debated, challenged and changed, what good are they for.
Well the forum and moderators want a family friendly non-political place that doesn't argue. Like I said in my previous comment, the virus is not political but the controversies are...
You can believe what you want politically but just don't bring it up here. It's not the place for it. This thread is just for people to communicate about how it's affecting their area and how many cases there are... But bringing other politically charged things I'm isn't cool.
I myself am neutral. I have no political party. The things I say that may seem "political" is personally just common sense in my pov and nothing more.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back