Cories, lots of cories.

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

How do you get your lovely photos? Camera? Settings? I cannot seem to take good fish photos. I tried to take stills, but that was hopeless. These are screen shots from a video, which aren't great, and most of it looked blurry whenever you paused the video. The bottom two are corydoras carlae. I added the plec because she was sitting still for a moment.

I'm using an Olympus OM10.

View attachment 106567View attachment 106568View attachment 106569

Corydoras carlae :wub:
I use both my phone (Samsung Galaxy A8) and my DSLR camera (Nikon D700)

A hint, take lots of photos and pick the best. Also, dont focus your camera on the fish. Focus on a plant, or rock, or something on the same field as the fish and wait for the fish to come into the focus range.

Yeah, I bought them by accident. Apparently they're super rare in the hobby. I went into the LFS to pick up a corner tank to rehouse the cherry barbs, and the lass who owns the shop said, "I know you like unusual corys. Come look at these." Oh, dear. A quick glance at Seriously Fish, and I learned they like cool, fast flowing water. Lucky me -- I have that set-up since I adapted the 240L for the rubberlip plec.

I've got some CW045s in there as well, and it would be nice to get some good photos of them.

How do you manage the lighting? When I was trying to take stills with a fast shutter speed, the camera couldn't cope at all due to poor light. Obviously a slower shutter speed can deal with dim light, but not fish that move. I increased the lighting in the room, but that created awkward reflections.

Yeah, I bought them by accident. Apparently they're super rare in the hobby. I went into the LFS to pick up a corner tank to rehouse the cherry barbs, and the lass who owns the shop said, "I know you like unusual corys. Come look at these." Oh, dear. A quick glance at Seriously Fish, and I learned they like cool, fast flowing water. Lucky me -- I have that set-up since I adapted the 240L for the rubberlip plec.

I've got some CW045s in there as well, and it would be nice to get some good photos of them.

How do you manage the lighting? When I was trying to take stills with a fast shutter speed, the camera couldn't cope at all due to poor light. Obviously a slower shutter speed can deal with dim light, but not fish that move. I increased the lighting in the room, but that created awkward reflections.
With a higher shutter, you want higher ISO. But gotta play with the balance. Too high and you will get grain and noise. Too low will be too dark.

What shutter speed and ISO are you usually using?
Many of my fish photos with my dslr are taken with flash too, so settings are lower than i normally use.

BUT

I also do bird photography, which needs high shutter often.

I typically go for 1/500 shutter and ISO 800 as a starting point.

You should always use a flash when taking pictures indoors or in low light areas. Angle the camera so it is not directly pointing at the glass otherwise the camera flash will reflect back onto the lens and put a big white blob on the picture.

Set the shutter speed to 1/200. It's fast enough to capture the fish in motion but slow enough for the flash.

Set the ISO to 100 or 200. If you have a higher ISO, the picture will look more grainy and make it harder to identify things on the fish.

After flapping about my dodgy cory, I did manage to get some reasonable pictures of the tank after setting my camera to your advised settings.
P6110595.JPG
P6110599.JPG
P6110609.JPG
P6110604.JPG
P6110617.JPG

Yeah, that pleco is a cool fish. I love the loricariids too and seem to be aquiring a range of species -- a rubberlip (chaetostoma formosae) in that tank, and a clown pleco in a different one. Recently got an L260 and an L262 but they weren't impressed by being moved, nor me crashing around their tank chasing cherry barbs a couple days later, and they only come out at night. Hoping they become more sociable and photogenic at some point.

Yeah, that pleco is a cool fish. I love the loricariids too and seem to be aquiring a range of species -- a rubberlip (chaetostoma formosae) in that tank, and a clown pleco in a different one. Recently got an L260 and an L262 but they weren't impressed by being moved, nor me crashing around their tank chasing cherry barbs a couple days later, and they only come out at night. Hoping they become more sociable and photogenic at some point.
If you love the loricariids....
A cousin of theirs, the farlowella genus. Not whiptails, but true farlowellas. Delicate though and probably need warmer temps than your current tank there, but theyre really fascinating fish.
I got a female farlowella platorynchus and a female farlowella vittata.
20200521_122309.jpg

Yeah, they look great. But no room at the inn for another loricariid that needs a powerhead. I have some space in my 100L that currently houses cherry barbs, a lone Bolivian ram, and a clown plec, but that's my low flow tank. That could take a small loricariid that can cope with still water.

Yeah, they look great. But no room at the inn for another loricariid that needs a powerhead. I have some space in my 100L that currently houses cherry barbs, a lone Bolivian ram, and a clown plec, but that's my low flow tank. That could take a small loricariid that can cope with still water.
They dont need a powerhead, but do need well oxygenated at least.

Aeneus also my fav, I remember in my first tank as a kid I had one which was huge and old, proper bruiser, so when I started working and got a decent sized fish tank I brought about 15 of them. One day did a huge water change and they started breeding, a couple of the babies are still alive as adults in my step mums tank. Thanks for sharing :)

Most reactions

Back