Cories Acting... Interestingly...

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

InaneCathode

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I'm happy to report everything's going along swimmingly with my newly setup 10g planted tank.
If anyone doesn't remember, it's got a betta and four cory cats in it.
The betta likes to attack his reflection on the right side of the tank (anyone know of a way to stop this? i dont want him getting overly stressed, and its not that entertaining for me at least...) and attack his food, and get stuck in moss :lol:

The cories on the other hand are concerning me a bit. They're catfish, so they're supposed to be bottom dwelling fish right? It seems they spend almost all of their time cruising the middle of the front glass, periodically dashing up to the surface. I'm worried they'll get worn out and get sick from all this constant swimming.
It *is* night time for them at the moment, and they seem very very active. Perhaps its because they're nocturnal and thats just what they do? I heard they're also river dwelling fish, so perhaps they like all the activity.

PS Is it possible to underfeed fish? Stupid question i know, but i've always heard how easy it is to overfeed fish and kill your tank. I give Sammy Davis about 3 little betta pellets, and the cories a quarter of an algae wafer when i feed them about twice a day. Sammy attacks the first pellet, then eats it, then eats the rest in a fair short order. The cories ignore the algae until one catches on that they're supposed to eat it, then they mob it until they're bored.
How can i tell if im feeding my lurvly fishies enough? I sure dont want to starve them...

PPS Bettas are far, far, far more intelligent than i thought. You can definitely tell this guy is looking at you and giving you the feed me dance. Cories... not so much. Cute, but they dont strike me as the sharpest knife in the drawer...

your corys will b fine!i had 12 corys, 4 differant species in a 55g planted tank. they showed nearly the same behavior as yours are, no worries!

and for the food, your doing great also! u could try adding a little extra algea wafer to see if it lasts, if it doesnt then they obviously would like more food.

Although cories can go to the surface for air and that would be normal if they are doing it a lot it could be that the tank is a bit low on oxygen. You could adjust the filtration to create a bit more surface agitation and see if that changes their behaviour. I had this happen after introducing some meds but as soon as I put an airstone in for a few hours they were back to their usual scuttling around the bottom. Mine almost never go to the surface.
DD

Cories can intestinally dissolve oxygen, meaning they will sometimes dart up to the surface for air.
Don't worry at all about them darting around the tank, it is normal bahviour for young cories and although it continues throughout their lifetime, it will decrease in terms of how common it is.
Cories will eat algae wafers and do appreciate the odd one, they will also eat any flake food that your betta lets drop to the bottom. However, it is worth getting some catfish pellets and/or frozen food such as bloodworm as they love to eat a variety of foods.
Hope this helps
TIM

Mine do that too, and they're fine. :) I think it's cute when they all ride along the side of the tank.

Mine do that too, and they're fine. :) I think it's cute when they all ride along the side of the tank.

LOL! That's strange.. just as your posted that my Albino's all swam along the middle of the glass at the front in tandem! Forget the red arrows!

Their still doing it now and their nearly 2 years old!

LOL! That's strange.. just as your posted that my Albino's all swam along the middle of the glass at the front in tandem! Forget the red arrows!

Aww! I've got one old cory that's about 2 too, and he's as active as the youngins. :D Corys are so cute and playful.

Aww! I've got one old cory that's about 2 too, and he's as active as the youngins. :D Corys are so cute and playful.

Still only about middle-age! Corydoras can live to well above 5 years.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back