Coral Of The Week - Euphyllias

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

I must say that Euphyllias are an awesome genus to keep in the home aquarium; the hardest I think is the torch coral (E. Glabrescens). I originally got two species of Euphyllias back at the beginning of my salty campaign. Since then I have had nothing but sucess with them. Beautiful flowing colourful tentacles and interesting and complex skeletons you can't go wrong. I will say that they seem to prefer T5 lighting to anything else as I originally kept them under T5 compacts. I now have a 150W halide and Aquaray LEDs on separate tanks which they thrive under but not in quite the same manner as they do under T5s. They do appreciate a medium current i.e one that separates the tentacles and makes them sway.

Kindest regards

Joe

torch coral

PB090187.jpg

under blues
PC220233.jpg

hammer coral

PC220227.jpg

Thought I would add something a little different to the Euphyllia collection. I don't have pictures like always, haha since I don't have a camera and have to borrow my dads all the time.

Anyone ever kept a Euphyllia Yaeyamaensis? If you google it, you can easily tell it is different than the normal Euphyllia Divisa or Paradivisia. It has a lot more "bushy" polyps and seem to not have as nice green colors.
I had one in my previous tank and it acted about the same as a normal frogspawn.

Nick

Yep I have one and it's a nice coral, almost White.
It's one of two of my euphyllia (infact most of my LPS) to of survived a flatworm invasion (sadly I've lost the majority of my euphyllia collection)
I just treat it like I do any frogspawn and it seems to be happy enough.

c7dc8c9b.jpg

Looks much like paradivisia but is slightly different.

It would seem so seffie as mine is now 2 heads, maybe when she grows out a bit I will sort some frags out although with my current LPS troubles I may want to keep it all to myself LOL. Bloody flatworms.

Yup, that looks almost identical to the one I used to have :sad:
Very nice coral.

I just got 2 euphyllia frags this weekend.

A green/purple tipped frogswap and a hammer who's tentacle ends (hammers) are so fluorescence green it looks like a glow stick.

Has anyone else noticed that hammer corals have two types of "hammers". Some are just flat and a little rounded while others are completely curled up.
If you google "hammer coral" you can see in the pictures what I'm talking about.
Mine is the flat ones.

Picture will be posted tomorrow or saturday.

Nick

Great thread, thanks guys :good:

I have a couple of questions regarding these, as I want one for my nano once it is more mature.

Do you need to test/supplement your water for things like calcium/mag levels, or would a 10% weekly water change be considered enough to replenish whatever these corals use up?

I love the look of the torch corals, but I would be concerned about its sweeper tentacles and "clearances" needed to ensure the zoas and mushrooms/rics I intend to keep don't get killed.

Are they suitable for a relative beginner?

Simon :)

Yes they are Simon, as long as your tank is stable, they are lovely corals.

If you had a lot of hard corals in the tank you would need to supplement calcium and Mag, but if you only have a couple and do weekly water changes of 20% there shouldnt be a problem

Seffie x

Yes they are Simon, as long as your tank is stable, they are lovely corals.

If you had a lot of hard corals in the tank you would need to supplement calcium and Mag, but if you only have a couple and do weekly water changes of 20% there shouldnt be a problem

Seffie x

Thanks Seffie :)

I will let the tank mature a bit more, then look to add a torch.

I currently change 10l per week, I would say I have an actual water volume of 77l after displacement so would need to up my changes to 15l to make 20% :good:

Thanks again,

Simon

These corals are on the top of my list for wheni set up and establish my marine reef. Thank you all for the pictures and for the information and I hope to put in my own 2 cents once I get some!

well i thought i would post mine
my torches (the silver one i only got a couple of days ago)
P1010751.jpg

my hammer
P1010755.jpg

my frogspawn
P1010763.jpg

full tank shot
202c9fb3.jpg

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back