Coral? Live Rock?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Figure-8

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I was just wondering is coral and live rock different and if they are whats the differents between them. Also what do you need to keep coral that is different and the same as live rock.

live rock is basicaly coral that has died and been encrusted by algaes and sponges, worms and pods etc. there other sources but that is the mose common. live rock is shipped dry so a lot of the life dies and so the rock needs "curing" where it is put in a large tank with a big skimmer and left for any toxins to be removed and then the life that survived can start to re-populate it. some algaes will not grow back with out light so a light will be required but the pods and worms will be fine as long as water quality is ok. corals on the other hand are more complex and need different ammounts of light depending on the type and species. also, although things like tube worms on the live rock, will need calcium, magnesium and so on as will hard corals, soft corals will need some but not as much as they dont build a skeleton like hard corals.

Live rock is many living things (mainly filter feeders) all living in rock, where as coral is usualy one animal and needs more specific needs. there is so much to learn about live rock and even more about corals so I suggest you just read as much as possable.

ste :)

may i add that live rock is very benieficial for the tank. like ste said u will find filter feeders such as snails, hermits, starfish, ect. also like ste said live rock is a dead coral meaning the actual rock part is the skeletons of corals and other organisms.
but ste2k3 told u all u need to no about live rock

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back