Copper

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Aspen35

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I recently was given a tank that someone had no use for, and they told me that meds with copper had been used in the past. The tank is a 20 long, and I want to use it as a grow-out for mystery snails. Is there any way to completely eradicate the copper from it?

Can copper be left in a tank that's been drained? Will it even harm the snails if it is there in a small amount?

Last edited:
I recently was given a tank that someone had no use for, and they told me that meds with copper had been used in the past. The tank is a 20 long, and I want to use it as a grow-out for mystery snails. Is there any way to completely eradicate the copper from it?

I think you just need to rinse it well and it should be fine.
Glass is not porous and it won't absorb the Copper.
In fact, I don't think glass will absorb anything.

You only have to worry of sticky medication or detergent that will stick to it.
But you can rinse it well or scrub it with a piece of soft sponge pad.
I like to use a hose to spray water at the tank to wash it properly.

Porous items like drift woods will definitely absorb the Copper.
Other things like rocks, stone, sand, soil may also absorb it.
Other items should be ok.

Last note: If I am not wrong, there are a few types of Copper.
Copper Sulfate will dissolve into the water and when you change water, the copper will be removed.

You can read more from here:

Last edited:
20 long is a nice thank, I have one and really like it, it is not as big as my 55 or 29 gallon tall but it is easier to work in. Copper, once copper is added to a tank it is almost impossible to get rid of and coats the inside of the tank or at least that is what I have been told. I have never used copper meds in my tanks. Copper kills shrimp and snails but if you only plan on fish then it should be alright. You may never know unless you add a snail or two. I would add some live plants and chances are you may get some free hitchhiker snails with your plants. Shrimp are very sensitive to copper so keep that in mind if you plan on adding them.

You can read more from here:
This says carbon will remove it. Do you think that will work once it's cleaned?

Porous items like drift woods will definitely absorb the Copper.
Other things like rocks, stone, sand, soil may also absorb it.(just my opinion)
Other items should be ok.

Would doing the tank bare-bottom with some rocks be a bad idea then?

You don't need any carbon now.
This is for those who still have fish in the tank and they want to remove the copper from the water.

For your case, just scrub the tank with a sponge pad and rinse it well.
If you still worry, then fill the tank with water and let it soak longer for 1-2 days. But I don't think this is necessary.
Once your tank is clean, you can put anything in it.

Some additional info.
You can use some bleach for cleaning the tank to remove the dirt and kill off some bacteria and destroy the parasite eggs(just in case).
Note: Parasite eggs cannot be damaged by most medication. Only bleach can damage it but not 100% according to some research.

But remember to rinse well cos the bleach may stick to the tank and is harmful for snails or fish.
Also, bleach is corrosive and cannot be left long in a tank during cleaning as it will damage the silicone.

wonderful, thank you for the help! Hopefully this will go well. I may have to test the tank out with some ramshorns before I put the mysteries in. :)

Some people like to use vinegar to clean their tank.
Vinegar is easily rinsed off as it wont stick to the tank.
But vinegar probably cannot destroy the parasites eggs.
If you can get the swimming pool type chlorine/bleach, I think it also wont stick to the tank. Colin will know this well.
I hope my information is correct.

If the aquarium has gravel in, throw the gravel away, rinse the tank out with water and set it up with new gravel.

Rinsing the tank with fresh water a few times will remove any copper that might be on/ in it.

If there are plastic ornaments or filters, rinse with fresh water a few times to remove any copper. Then set the tank up.

The only thing that will be a possible problem is driftwood and porous ceramic ornaments. Soak these in a container of freshwater for a couple of weeks, change the water each day and after 2 weeks your good to go.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back