Coping With Fish Withdrawal

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Blobfish

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I've had to cover three of my tanks up for a few days to deal with an algae outbreak.  It's been 24 hours and it's driving me nuts!  I have still got the oscars and the multi's to look at but I'm missing my whiptails and medaka in particular :(  Any tips for getting through this?

Also, how long would people recommend I leave it, I'm thinking Thursday or Friday for the unveiling .. that seems soooo far away!

Go get yourself a bar of Cadbury's. Always works for me.

Watch lots of youtube videos? D:

the_lock_man said:
Go get yourself a bar of Cadbury's. Always works for me.

Great idea!  :)

Ninjouzata said:
Watch lots of youtube videos? D:

I also have quite a few video's of my own fish, so for the next few days I've going to be watching fish videos with a large bar of milk chocolate and a box of tissues :)
Ummm ... that sounds a bit sordid now I read it back!  
laugh.png

laugh.png

laugh.png

laugh.png
That's why I recommended the youtube vids since I know you have some of your tanks 
happy.png

Weiro792 said:
Get a moon light?

It has to be complete blackout apparently, no light getting in at all.

Hmmm. Then I guess youtube it is. I had to do a black out probably about 6 months ago when I first set up my tank. It was miserable. So I feel your pain!

Oh my gosh I would go nuts! I always find myself watching the fish instead of watching whatever movie is on atm. They're so much more entertaining.

What you could do is introduce a couple of amano shrimp in there, they'd take care of the issue for you ;)

l_l_l said:
What you could do is introduce a couple of amano shrimp in there, they'd take care of the issue for you
wink.png

I had wondered about that but it was growing fast and I think is due to very low nitrates as the tank is chronically under stocked at the moment so hopefully at the weekend I will get some plants in and buy some more fish :)  I will see if they have any amano at the LFS too.  Yesterday I got a HUGE piece of bogwood, my whiptails are going to love it, it will be like an adventure playground for them - assuming it fits in the tank!

OMG, I am missing them!!  Today is day three!

Good idea for the plants, this will def help with algea because they enter in direct competition with it.
In my tanks, I tend to light them for 12 hours, and actually glad when I see algea, as it's food for my shrimp and that way they are more in the open.

Still, after 6 months, I have never had an algea "problem".
I do have a lot of plants in my tanks tho.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back