Cool Down My Tank.....?

K3lly

New Member
Joined
Mar 3, 2009
Messages
54
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Hello all,
Yesterday was a BEAUTIFUL day here, it almost hit 90F.
I had all my windows, and the back door wide open, it was a wonderful change from this past winter!!
Anywho...... In put the light to the tank off so it would not cause the water to get too warm, plus they are across from a window, and get a good amount of natural light. When I get home from my 4 hr shift at work (lucky me!!) I notice the 2 newest members of the tank were resting on the rocks at the bottom of the tank. I added 2 female fancy tail guppies. I checked out the temp..... 84f. Is that too warm for my guppies? Should I move them to a tank that doesnt get so warm? Any advise would be appreciated, thank you so much.
~Kelly
 
I have no idea if its to warm for guppies, but you can use ICE to cool the tank down I guess?
 
Some marine fish keepers get soo much heat from their lamps that their only option is to run a refridgerating unit in their tank. The unit is basically a backwards boiler, so water is piped through a collection of pipes that are cooled using a unit similar to a dehumidifier.

Check what temp your tank cools down to at night. Water has a fantastic ability to relain heat (hence areas closer to the see get less temperature fluctuations that those inland places)

If you can let your tank cool down more at night (i.e. reduce your heater temp) then it will stay cooler for longer during the daytime. The natural "up and down" of the water temp may even induce spawning.
 
Some marine fish keepers get soo much heat from their lamps that their only option is to run a refridgerating unit in their tank. The unit is basically a backwards boiler, so water is piped through a collection of pipes that are cooled using a unit similar to a dehumidifier.

Check what temp your tank cools down to at night. Water has a fantastic ability to relain heat (hence areas closer to the see get less temperature fluctuations that those inland places)

If you can let your tank cool down more at night (i.e. reduce your heater temp) then it will stay cooler for longer during the daytime. The natural "up and down" of the water temp may even induce spawning.

I am unable to adjust my heater, it is 'automatic' to the water temp I guess.
I am thinking I will go get one that I will be able to adjust, because I think this is gonna be a hot summer!
I mean come on..... almost 90F weather in APRIL!! I dont want old mother nature to kill my fish.
Its not even that hot IN my house, just outside. We are shaded by trees, and we are on the 1st floor, so the 2nd floor def gets all the heat from the sun.
And as far as spawning...... does it make me a bad person IF that happens, to just let nature take its course, and slet them be eaten? I dont have the room to care for 30 some fry. And not nearly enough educated on raising them. The only reason I even have a 'co-ed' tank is because the guy at my lfs said that it is a possibility for the dominant female to change sex......I figure if I'm gonna have a male, I'd like to be able to pick him out!!
 
I am unable to adjust my heater, it is 'automatic' to the water temp I guess.

How does that work? Does that mean you can adjust for different species requirements?

And as far as spawning...... does it make me a bad person IF that happens, to just let nature take its course, and slet them be eaten? I dont have the room to care for 30 some fry. And not nearly enough educated on raising them. The only reason I even have a 'co-ed' tank is because the guy at my lfs said that it is a possibility for the dominant female to change sex......I figure if I'm gonna have a male, I'd like to be able to pick him out!!

Spawning is a great sign that the fish are happy and living as close to a "natural" life as they can. The fact that they dont raise a spawn due to predation is nothing to get upset about. The parent fish have had the chance to perform a natural behaviour, and thats the best bit. Also the fish in the tank will all benefit from eating live foods. Besides - the mom and dad fish are likely to have come from the same batch in the fish shop - so you wouldnt really want to raise offspring from "brother and sister" as it is genetically dodgy,..then there are ethical reasons not to raise the fry......
 

Most reactions

Back
Top