Cool Down A Tank

shadowhywind

Fish Fanatic
Joined
Mar 8, 2009
Messages
87
Reaction score
0
Points
0
We are having a small heat wave and I just noticed that my tank temp is at least 82 F, if not a bit higher. My brothers tank is also running in the 80's F. We do have the window curtains closed, and the lights off. The air conditioner is also running, but not really having an effect on the tank. I looked into a chiller but they are way to expensive for my budget. Any ideas?
 
the only thing i would do is a fan blowing on the top of the open tank water, other than this just ride along with it and hopefully the heatwave won't last along time, were exspecting a heatwave next week, do you have a heater in the tank?does it still click on and off?
 
both ideas go well ;)

you could plop a few ice cubes in, ive heard fishes love them hehe ;D
 
I was tempted to fill up like a litter bottle of soda with water/freeze it and put it, But I was afraid of a to quick of a temperature drop. As for the heater, I do have a heater in my tank as for it going on and off, I don't really know there is no lights or any other indication of it going on. For my brothers tank, he does not have a heater in it.
 
I have used a fan in the past, easier to control the temperature than using ice cubes/bottle IME. Got my tank down about 6degrees in 3ish hours.

Mike
 
I put ice cubes in the filter output. This way they're distributed evenly and don't cause a large coldzone floating in the water.
 
Cooler water changes help. This is also used to get many species to spawn. Fish love fresh water.
 
Thanks for the tips. I was planning on doing a water change tomorrow anyways, my plants need a trim.. I also have a few bottles sitting in the freezer now, just incase I need to use them. Thanks again
 

Most reactions

Back
Top