Convo I Just Overheard In Lfs

MermaidMel

Official Forum Weirdo Detective
Joined
Jul 14, 2007
Messages
3,972
Reaction score
0
Points
0
These 2 old men were chatting. 1 of them was basically saying he's never used any 'chemicals' in the aquarium, he said he once bought a test kit but he's never used it. If his water smelt he took out the decor and chucked it in the bin :sick: he told the other bloke 'if your fish are living and your water's flowing, why bother with it, just leave it alone' :huh: :blink: :angry:

People are so dumb sometimes
 
Can't see why you would buy a test kit and not use it.
Older dosn't always mean wiser.
 
But if hs=is mehods worked who are we to question them??? people kept fish for years before the chemicals were invented...........
 
But if hs=is mehods worked who are we to question them??? people kept fish for years before the chemicals were invented...........

I knew someone would say that lol

I'm not questioning AS SUCH, but the water smells, so you throw away the decor? That's not a method is it. Water changes are methods, cleaning decor is methods, hoovering gravel is methods...

No you don't HAVE to use chemicals but you do have to keep your water fresh and you don't do that by chucking out the contents lol. If your house smelt, would you just do away with the furniture and buy new or have a spruce round with a duster and some air freshener, open a few windows and let in some new elements.

Older most certainly is not wiser, indeed.
 
heheehe I was just being the devils advocate lol sorry, I see what your saying but I do wonder to a certain extent whether everything we have available now caused all our problems we now encounter??
 
heheehe I was just being the devils advocate lol sorry, I see what your saying but I do wonder to a certain extent whether everything we have available now caused all our problems we now encounter??

Ooh yeah was so simple in the old days because there was no choice. But people didn't live as long remember! Even if you use water and a towel to clean your mirrors, or a bowl over a fire and a big stick to wash your clothes in, you still did some cleaning. You can't live happily in your own ming for very long can ya!
 
heheehe I was just being the devils advocate lol sorry, I see what your saying but I do wonder to a certain extent whether everything we have available now caused all our problems we now encounter??

Ooh yeah was so simple in the old days because there was no choice. But people didn't live as long remember! Even if you use water and a towel to clean your mirrors, or a bowl over a fire and a big stick to wash your clothes in, you still did some cleaning. You can't live happily in your own ming for very long can ya!

I dont even use a heater or filter and I change the water once a month, works perfect
 
heheehe I was just being the devils advocate lol sorry, I see what your saying but I do wonder to a certain extent whether everything we have available now caused all our problems we now encounter??

Ooh yeah was so simple in the old days because there was no choice. But people didn't live as long remember! Even if you use water and a towel to clean your mirrors, or a bowl over a fire and a big stick to wash your clothes in, you still did some cleaning. You can't live happily in your own ming for very long can ya!

I dont even use a heater or filter and I change the water once a month, works perfect

Are you serious!?!?
 
I'm with stucolls on this one, I would not be so rude to call someone "dumb" just because they're doing things differently.

I admit that there are probably easier ways of cleaning tanks than to just throw the decor out but that's what he's obviously learned from experience. Who knows, when the water smells he may have vacced the substrate thoroughly after chucking the decor out. I have no idea where my test kit is, as far as I'm aware I don't think I actually have a test kit anymore, and the last time a tested my water was probably over a year ago. I think we wrap our fish up in cotton wool a bit too much sometimes.

On this forum people tend to just go by what everyone else says and then dismiss any other methods. Unless you have primary evidence that what he is doing doesn't work then maybe it's best not to comment?
 
heheehe I was just being the devils advocate lol sorry, I see what your saying but I do wonder to a certain extent whether everything we have available now caused all our problems we now encounter??

Ooh yeah was so simple in the old days because there was no choice. But people didn't live as long remember! Even if you use water and a towel to clean your mirrors, or a bowl over a fire and a big stick to wash your clothes in, you still did some cleaning. You can't live happily in your own ming for very long can ya!

I dont even use a heater or filter and I change the water once a month, works perfect

Are you serious!?!?

ye I just stir the water around now and then with my hand to keep it following, am I doing something wrong?
 
heheehe I was just being the devils advocate lol sorry, I see what your saying but I do wonder to a certain extent whether everything we have available now caused all our problems we now encounter??

Ooh yeah was so simple in the old days because there was no choice. But people didn't live as long remember! Even if you use water and a towel to clean your mirrors, or a bowl over a fire and a big stick to wash your clothes in, you still did some cleaning. You can't live happily in your own ming for very long can ya!

I dont even use a heater or filter and I change the water once a month, works perfect

Are you serious!?!?

ye I just stir the water around now and then with my hand to keep it following, am I doing something wrong?

If it works for you and you dont have any problems then thats up to you :)

Personally though its not how i would do it, but everyone has thier own personal prefernece :)
 
heheehe I was just being the devils advocate lol sorry, I see what your saying but I do wonder to a certain extent whether everything we have available now caused all our problems we now encounter??

Ooh yeah was so simple in the old days because there was no choice. But people didn't live as long remember! Even if you use water and a towel to clean your mirrors, or a bowl over a fire and a big stick to wash your clothes in, you still did some cleaning. You can't live happily in your own ming for very long can ya!

I dont even use a heater or filter and I change the water once a month, works perfect

Are you serious!?!?

ye I just stir the water around now and then with my hand to keep it following, am I doing something wrong?

If it works for you and you dont have any problems then thats up to you :)

Personally though its not how i would do it, but everyone has thier own personal prefernece :)

Lol Ofcourse I was joking :P, thought id get a bigger reaction then that lol
 
heheehe I was just being the devils advocate lol sorry, I see what your saying but I do wonder to a certain extent whether everything we have available now caused all our problems we now encounter??

Ooh yeah was so simple in the old days because there was no choice. But people didn't live as long remember! Even if you use water and a towel to clean your mirrors, or a bowl over a fire and a big stick to wash your clothes in, you still did some cleaning. You can't live happily in your own ming for very long can ya!

I dont even use a heater or filter and I change the water once a month, works perfect

Are you serious!?!?

ye I just stir the water around now and then with my hand to keep it following, am I doing something wrong?

If it works for you and you dont have any problems then thats up to you :)

Personally though its not how i would do it, but everyone has thier own personal prefernece :)

Lol Ofcourse I was joking :P, thought id get a bigger reaction then that lol

Few, I was a little worried there for a second! :lol:
 
heheehe I was just being the devils advocate lol sorry, I see what your saying but I do wonder to a certain extent whether everything we have available now caused all our problems we now encounter??

Ooh yeah was so simple in the old days because there was no choice. But people didn't live as long remember! Even if you use water and a towel to clean your mirrors, or a bowl over a fire and a big stick to wash your clothes in, you still did some cleaning. You can't live happily in your own ming for very long can ya!

I dont even use a heater or filter and I change the water once a month, works perfect

Are you serious!?!?

ye I just stir the water around now and then with my hand to keep it following, am I doing something wrong?

If it works for you and you dont have any problems then thats up to you :)

Personally though its not how i would do it, but everyone has thier own personal prefernece :)

Lol Ofcourse I was joking :P, thought id get a bigger reaction then that lol

Yeah because what people think and what they write down are 2 different things... the reaction in their mind WAS big.

I heard the conversation, he was advising somebody else, who was going to buy some chemicals not to bother. I think that is just wrong, the other person said maybe I'll just leave it then, because the other guy was a very forceful saying how he's never had any problems and it's a waste of money, yet his water smelt and his decor was covered in slime. So he took it out and threw it away, job done.

I'm surprised at you all - wrapping your fish in cotton wool, no I don't. Give them a pleasant environment to live in, yes I do. His fish may have lived 5 years, but if his water was of better quality they could have lived 10, 15 years.
 
heheehe I was just being the devils advocate lol sorry, I see what your saying but I do wonder to a certain extent whether everything we have available now caused all our problems we now encounter??

Ooh yeah was so simple in the old days because there was no choice. But people didn't live as long remember! Even if you use water and a towel to clean your mirrors, or a bowl over a fire and a big stick to wash your clothes in, you still did some cleaning. You can't live happily in your own ming for very long can ya!

I dont even use a heater or filter and I change the water once a month, works perfect

Are you serious!?!?

ye I just stir the water around now and then with my hand to keep it following, am I doing something wrong?

If it works for you and you dont have any problems then thats up to you :)

Personally though its not how i would do it, but everyone has thier own personal prefernece :)

Lol Ofcourse I was joking :P, thought id get a bigger reaction then that lol

Who am i to judge you? on what you say or do? im only just begining, to see the real you :lol: :lol:
 

Most reactions

Back
Top