Converting to Plants

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

jaywings19

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I have been keeping fish for almost 2 years now, but never did a planted aquarium. I always felt that I wanted to be a successful fishkeeper before becoming a successful botanist. :lol:

I am starting to consider taking the plunge into a planted aquarium... well, not literally plunging into the aquarium. :rofl:

I have a 72G (US) bow-front tank that is currently inhabited by the following fishy friends:

Discus - 3 (Medium/Large)
Rummynose Tetras - 7
Cardinal Tetras - 4
Bolivian Ram - 1

Here are the tank features and parameters:

Temperature - 83-84F
pH - 6.6
Substrate - Fine black gravel
Decor - Fake plants (hence this topic)
Light - 30W (this is what came with the tank package)

The reason that I'm considering the live plants now is to help control the Nitrate level in the tank.

Here are my questions:

1. What type of plants would do best in my tank especially considering the temperature?
2. How much lighting would I have to upgrade?
3. Potted/Unpotted... fertilizer/tabs... etc.??? I have no clue about this stuff. :blink:

Please keep in mind that I'm brand new to live plants. I've been trying to read through the topics in this forum, but have trouble applying them to my own situation. Some of the planted aquarium pictures shown here are incredible... and I'm extremely jealous. :p

Your help and knowledge will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Here's a link that discusses high temperature plants.
http://www.thekrib.com/Plants/Plants/hi-temp.html

I'll list them here.

Anubias barteri
Anubias barteri var nana
Ammania senegalensis
Barclaya longifolia
Echinodorus bleheri
E. quadricostatus
E. tenellus
Hygrophila corymbosa
Ludwigia mullertii "Red Ludwigia"
Microsorium pteropus "Java Fern"
Rotala rotundifolia
Shinnersia rivularis "Mexican Oak Leaf"
Vesicularia dubyana "Java Moss"

Hygrophila polysperma
Aponogeton crispus
Cryptocoryne wendtii
Cryptocoryne willisii
Echinodorus bleheri
Vallisneria spiralis (corkscrew)
Alternanthera reineckii
Ludwigia repens
Myriophyllum aquaticum
Rotala macrandra
Rotala rotundifolia
Ceratopteris thalictroides
Riccia fluitans
Java Moss

I don't know how accurate it is, but it's a start. You'll need quite a bit more lighting for a 72G. I'd aim for at least 2-2.5 watts per gallon. Remove plants from the pots before planting. Here's a link to a 90G planted discus tank. This guy has done a great job with it.

http://www.plantedtank.net/rumplesriot90.html
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/attachme...ttachmentid=404
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthre...69&page=1&pp=15

Good luck! :thumbs:

My friend recommended this particular light fixture (see writeup and picture below). My 72G tank is 4 ft long, so I'd need the 48" fixture. That light seems to be more than sufficient for plant growth (it would be almost 4-5 watts/gallon)... but would it be too powerful for my Discus? From what I understand, Discus like subdued lighting. :dunno:

Aqualight™ Compact Fluorescent Fixture
The Aqualight is the complete line of compact fluorescent lighting units for your saltwater, reef or freshwater aquariums. The Aqualight is a sleek and streamlined fixture, designed to enhance and complement your aquarium. The compact and low profile style is equipped with a modern aluminum housing and a highly-polished reflector for optimal lighting. It also includes a protective acrylic lens cover and Coralife compact fluorescent lamps

48" Aqualight™ Deluxe Series - Double Linear Strip with 2-65 watt Actinic and 2-65 watt 10,000K™ Compact Fluorescent Lamps Straight Pin Base with Cooling Fans

* 2-65 watt Actinic and 2-65 watt 10,000K™ Compact Fluorescent Lamp Included
* 2 On/Off switches and 2 power cords for separate timers
* Built-in Electronic Ballast and Cooling fans
* Sleek Aluminum Housing
* Highly-Polished Reflector
* Acrylic Lens Cover

aqualight_53106.jpg

Personally, I'd go with the freshwater 6700k light strip.

48" Freshwater Aqualight Dual Linear Strip Light (260W) It comes with 4x65watt. These were designed specifically for freshwater planted tanks.

aqualight_fresh48Doub.jpg

http://www.marineandreef.com/shoppro/power...ight_fresh.html

Discus are supposed to prefer subdued lighting. You can put some floating plants in a corner to give them shade.

Bangin said:
Microsorium pteropus "Java Fern"
Vesicularia dubyana "Java Moss"
Hygrophila polysperma
Vallisneria spiralis (corkscrew)
I have all of these plants and they are not hard to grow. The Corkscrew Val. grows pretty quckly - it's always sending out runners. I started out with three or four plants a month or two ago and now have over a dozen :thumbs: Java Fern is the newest addition (well, of the plants on this list anyway) to my tank and it seems to be doing quite well. I don't do anything "special" for my plants - just plant 'em (or tie 'em to something, in the cases of the Java Fern and Moss) and give 'em some light. I only have about 1.5 watts-per-gallon right now. I'd like more light, but don't have the money to buy the fancier light strip that I need. The 1.5 WPG seems to be working fine right now. I'm considering set up a DIY CO2 system, and perhaps getting some type of fertilizer for the plants, but have not done either of those up until now, and the plants are doing quite well. I posted a recent picture over in the Members Aquarium Pictures Forum. The title mentions that it's a 29-gallon.

Hope that helps ya some :thumbs: You won't regret switching to live plants - they're great and the fish love 'em. My new Pepper Corys have taken to resting on the leaves - it's so cute :)

Pamela
aka Married Lizard :wub:

Bangin said:
Personally, I'd go with the freshwater 6700k light strip.

48" Freshwater Aqualight Dual Linear Strip Light (260W) It comes with 4x65watt. These were designed specifically for freshwater planted tanks.

aqualight_fresh48Doub.jpg

http://www.marineandreef.com/shoppro/power...ight_fresh.html

Discus are supposed to prefer subdued lighting. You can put some floating plants in a corner to give them shade.
Yes, you're correct. That's the model of light fixture I should've displayed. I confirmed with my friend. He showed me both items (the red box and green box), but I confused the explanation he gave me.

Thanks for also pointing out the website store... but I found the same thing on another website for $25 less. :)

I also appreciate the plant suggestions. I found an online plant supplier that has a category in their store just for Warm Water/Discus Tank plants. The Amazon Sword plants are my favorite... but I also want to infuse some reddish colored plants in the tank.

Please keep the suggestions and feedback coming! This has been very helpful to me so far.

jaywings19 said:
Thanks for also pointing out the website store... but I found the same thing on another website for $25 less. :)
Ooooh, could you please share the link to that website? I'd much appreciate it!

Don't have any more suggestions for plants and such right now, but if I do, I'll let you know!

Pamela
aka Married Lizard :wub:

The Amazon Sword plants are my favorite... but I also want to infuse some reddish colored plants in the tank.

Just a word of caution...Reddish plants typically need more light. Otherwise they tend to lose their red colour and some become green.

Also, a word of advice, don't go to the store and buy the most expensive plants because they look nice. I once found a list of "tried-tested-and-true" plants that will always grow. Almost anything in the hygrophilia group will give you good results fast. It will also take some time for you plants to adjust to the water parameters if they're "difficult" to grow. Also keep in mind lighting isn't everything, make sure you have good gravel, fertilizer, CO2 etc. Good luck :)

Bangin said:
I found this article on tropica. It's a two part article on success with planted discus tanks. I didn't read through it all, but I thought it may be of some use to you.

Part 1 http://www.tropica.com/article.asp?type=aquaristic&id=453
Part 2 http://www.tropica.com/article.asp?type=aquaristic&id=461

:book:
Thank you very much for sharing the article link(s). I stumbled across some other Discus Planted Tank sites last night. But this article seems a bit more organized and understandable (for the newbies). :)

:clap:
:kana:

Most reactions

Back