Converting Fw Tank Into Marine Tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Nauplii

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Hey Guys

I've been keeping fish for about 7years now and I've decided it's time I move onto keeping Marine fish. I have a Rekord 120 aquarium with the standard equiptment and i'm looking to convert this into my first Marine tank.

I'm just wondering how difficult this might be to convert as I realise I need a whole new set of equipment and lighting will be an issue with the standard one I have now. Would anyone be able to tell me a rough cost i might be looking at to convert and what the basic changes would be?

Thanks guys

Nauplii :D

Lighting:
If it is the stock lighting, they would be 2 t8 bulbs. Sadly, you can't just pop t5 lights in a t8 fixture. Pop one of your bulbs out just to double check. Arcadia makes a light unit called tge I-bar just for these tanks. You could also just leave it as an open top tank with a fixture of your liking. Research your corals and find out there lighting requirements and itll be easier to pick a light unit to best suit your needs. Lighting is probably one of the most expensive, single peice of equipment for a marine tank.

Filtration:
Your main filtration will be from your lr and powerheads. Investing in a protein skimmer would also be extremely beneficial. Have a look around for hang on the back skimmers. Another option could be to use a hang on the back overflow and plumb in a sump for additional filtration, remove equipment from the main display, and provide more water volume.

Its hard to really give a cost estimate. It all depends on the brand and quality of the equipment.

Basic necessities:
Powerheads (20x turnover is recommended minimum)
Lighting upgrade (2xt5 minimum imo)
Live rock

Non-necessity(but highly beneficial and recommended esp if keeping corals):
Protein skimmer

Additional options(non-essential but beneficial):
Overflow w/ sump
Phosphate reactor

I think that sums it up. And remember, cheap equipment is cheap, be sure to read reviews on items before purchasing.

Hey Greyscale

I've been looking into the lighting for my tank and I've found this on ebay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/T5-LIGHTING-KIT-MARINE-TROPICAL-CORAL-FISH-2-x-39W-HOT5-3-FOOT-/220880152871?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Fish&hash=item336d7ba927#ht_631wt_1185

Would this suit my needs you think? I've been discussing it with a friend of mine and they reckon it should be ok but figure I should get a second opinion.. I haven't checked my bulbs but i'm assuming they are in fact T8's so i realise i'll need to ditch the entire lid to the tank in order to get the t5s I need. I'm aiming for soft corals and maybe a few hard corals to start me off.

Thank you so much for your help, this is really appreciated =D.

Cheers

Nauplii

Thatll give you around 2.5wpg before the HO comes into play.

The best way to start your search for lighting is deciding which corals you want to keep and then reading on their requirements. Until that is decided, its hard to say if it will work or not and if it will be suitable.

Hey Grayscale,

I have looked into the corals that I would like to keep and I've decided on a few things:

To start with:
Zoanthids, Mushroom corals, feather dusters and some other easy soft corals.

Once tank is more mature and stable:
Sun coral, candy cane coral and few easier hard corals.

I was also looking at the compatability of some reef safe fish but looking at these I was wondering what the rule is for the amount of fish in marine systems? I know in tropical it's something like 1" fish per gallon but what would it be for marine?

Thanks for your help

Nauplii

I have not dove into my lighting yet, as I have been trying to find the right ones.. The T5s, after much reading, are great for your first part of the list. It appears that the ballast holds 2 T5's, only thing is you should figure out a reflector system to get that light into the tank instead of hitting the top of your hood. How deep is your tank? Some of the hard corals will need better lighting, placement in the tank is key also, as you can place things higher in the tank as light will be less effective at the bottom.

-Tyler

Hey Tyler,

Thanks for the reply.

My tank is 46cm deep and I was told by my lfs to use doubled up tin foil as reflectors instead of splashing out on reflectors (not sure how much of a good idea this is, i just nodded and let the guy tell me what he thought lol). I was also advised to buy the 2 T5s to put marine white bulbs in and then use my T8 light in the hood as the Blue actinic bulb. I was told to stick them into the lid with silicon.

Would this be the best idea you think?

I realise about positioning being important. Once i get the tropical fish out of my tank and start moving the live rock in I can figure out the structure of my reef and then what corals I want to put where.

This all seems like it's going to be a tad expensive =P

Cheers guys

Nauplii

It is indeed expensive. The T8 really isn't necessary, the actinic blue bulb does make for a prettier tank =).

I assume you are building a custom hood, so in this case you can fasten the T8 however u want... I would just use some screws. Is it just the ballast? If it is just a ballast I would bend a piece of aluminum and screw it on each end to the hood, (a "u" shape that acts as a carriage for the ballast).

Also, tin foil is easy, but also messy and a pain in the butt. I would get some aluminum and use the sharp edge, like a counter or table, and crease it into three planes... then screw this to the hood placing the bulbs under them. This would be more of a long term solution. Thin aluminum is not expensive, think how thick the foil roll you get is and its cheap. Most home improvement stores carry this. Your best bet might be finding a small sign shop as they can bend it and cut it for you. They often have scraps that would work perfect for this.

What are you planning on having in your tank?

-Tyler

I already have the standard hood on my tank for the Rekord 120 which is why the guy suggested I use it's T8 light for the blue light, which I quite like the idea of tbh. Then he said i could just stick them in somehow to the inside of the tank but the practicality of this will be The aluminium idea is a good one, i'll see what I can find! The 2 T5s I'll be getting will be just a starter like this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hagen-Glo-Twin-T5-Electronic-Controller-54w-x-2-/280627714908?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Fish&hash=item4156b71b5c.

I am planning on some easy to keep corals to start with like the zoanthids, feather duster, mushroom corals etc (easy soft corals) and then will probably move onto a few hard corals like sun coral and candy canes etc.

I'd like to get a couple of fish for the tank like a blenny, a pajama wrasse (six lined wrasse) and other small peaceful reef fish =).

Trying to reduce the amount i'll have to spend out by looking at some gear on ebay, seems to be some reasonable stuff on there!

Cheers

Just found this external filter on ebay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fluval-205-Filter-Marine-6-months-old-/180751497109?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Fish&hash=item2a15a0f795

Do you think this would be sufficient filtration for my 120litres with live rock?

Depending on how much LR you have in there you may not need a filter at all. The LR acts as the biological filter. I have a canister filter, just cuz I like pretty and perfectly clear water. I change the filter every other week to take out any food that got sucked up etc.

So your hood is already set up for several bulbs and you are retrofitting? I am not quite following how you plant to fit the T5s in the hood.

Candy canes need decent lighting, I think the T5s would be plenty if the coral is placed properly =) Zoas and Mushies will be fine with even two T8s at 10K. Mine have thrived with just one T8bulb from PETCO at 10K. Like I said, I have done a lot of reading, and now im waiting on my checkbook to buy what I want.

I'd prefer to have a filter in the tank so i will be getting one to have clean water =).

To be honest tyler I'm not sure how i'm doing the lighting, my lfs seems to think I can take the t5's fitting and attach it with some silicon to the inside of the lid, leave it to dry overnight and it'll be fine apparantly. Not sure how much of a good idea that is. I might buy one of theose Luminaire tops for the tank but it seems a tad expensive!

I iwll bare that in mind about those corals, i've heard the zoanthidsand the mushrooms are easy and a friend of mine will be giving me a few frags of hers to start me off which is nice of her =).

Can't wait =D

Nauplii

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back