Converting A Reptile Tank Into A Freshwater Tank!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Keithbaxter

Reaction score
Right simply put I had some Geckos when I was at uni they have been long dead and I found the old tank in the shed.

Its a solid glass tank thats not very big but will work fine as a fry tank with a small filter and heater that I have spare.

Problem is the tank has a hole in the side that originally had a vent in the hole is about an inch and a half width and circular, Im going to get some clear aquarium sealent and apply a fresh lot to the whole inside corner areas and then test in the bathroom.

I need help filling the hole. Im thinking plumbing shop, take the tank in explain the problem and see if he has any offcuts and bits to basically put a tiny length of pipe and 2 end caps. Or get a rubber filler cap type thing and sealent it in.

Any ideas? Hints? Things to be aware of?

Not sure if it's the right way or not, but I'd be tempted to get an oversized piece of glass the same thickness as the tank, and then silicon seal it to the inside as a 'patch' over the hole. That way I would think that the pressure inside the tank once it was filled would help to keep a good seal, (although I'd hope that you had a 100% seal from the quarium silicon sealant anyway!)

All converted and water tight, got a piece of glass from the glass works and sealented it over the hole.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back