Continued Ich Treatment

ALEXF

Fish Addict
Joined
Apr 13, 2008
Messages
771
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Willoughby, Ohio
Grrr.... I havent been on in a few days, but this weekend was horrible. I woke up saturday morning to see that 6 silver hatchetfish, 2 upside down cat fish, 1 von rio tetra dead with odd behavior in the german blue ram, and 1 of my checkerboard barbs. I immediately pulled out the dead fish and isolated the infected ones. I changed out 35 gallons of water, of my 55 gallon tank even thou i had just done a change 2 days prior. I vaccummed up as much of the stuff on the bottom as i could and refilled my tank.... At that momment i didnt know what it was as i couldnt tell from any of the fish. So i was just hoping. Later that night the german blue ram and the checkerboard barb died. I went to bed hoping everything would be alright. The next morning i woke up to another upside down cat dead and i finally found out what it was as my bristle nose plec was covered in little white spots. I removed the carbon from my tank, and dosed it..... now its only time as far as i can tell as to what will happen to the others. Ive decided im not going to stock mant more fish once this all clears up as i read it is harder for the parasites to attach to a host in an under stocked tank. Im going to rehome some of the fish i do have as soon as i clear it up... I dont know what im going to do if i lose my angel. My angel was my first fish and it is by far my favorite.... this is really fustrating and depressing right now.... I do have a question out of all this. Now i read the bottle and it doesnt say anything about water changes. Should i hold off on changing out any water or should i be doing the frequently.... This is the first time ive delt with a diease and im really glad i decided to stock up on meds..... grrrrr. Wish me and angel luck :(

Thanks,

Alex
 
I would wait till the ich dissappears, then i would wait a few days afterward, and then do a water change. If you turn the tank temp up, it will help get rid of it as its lifecycle goes by faster, making it vunerable faster. Im sorry dude, i have never had a massive die like that, and im sure is sucks something terrible. I have never heard that its harder for it to attach in a understocked tank. maybe less likely, but when ich is in your tnak, its bound to get on a fish anyway, i would say after this is all over, stock it back up.

R.I.P. Poor Fishies!
 
I would wait till the ich dissappears, then i would wait a few days afterward, and then do a water change. If you turn the tank temp up, it will help get rid of it as its lifecycle goes by faster, making it vunerable faster. Im sorry dude, i have never had a massive die like that, and im sure is sucks something terrible. I have never heard that its harder for it to attach in a understocked tank. maybe less likely, but when ich is in your tnak, its bound to get on a fish anyway, i would say after this is all over, stock it back up.

R.I.P. Poor Fishies!

Thanks For Your Reply, Yea Im gonna check on them when i get home tonight, and raise the temp slightly, make sure they are ok, and remove any casualties.... Thanks for the support. I thought about stocking it back up, but i have put ALOT of money into this and i really cant afford to do it unforunately. I mean I think Ill bring my von rios back up to 12-14, rehouse the barbs, and catfish, if the plec doesnt make it, then ill add another one of those.... grrr... it sucks that there is nothing i can really do other tank wait. I feel as if they are my kids in the ER and there is nothing i can do... that might sound silly but i started this on a whim because i really wanted angel. And because of him ive learned so much more and put so much more time and money and energy into this. Thanks thou.
 
sorry 2 hear all the problems m8ee hope u get on top of it really quick


jen
 
Thank You, This is going to sound really lame, but every minute i dont know whats going on with my fish... well its making me crazy, i cant wait to get off work to go check on them.
 
Well Im finally heading home to go raise the temp and check on my little ones. Wish me luck. Ill post as things change (probably when i get home)
 
i got home, and kicked on the lights.... gradually and i dont see anything floating at the filter (good thing) i raised the temp some and im currently monitoring it.... So far so good.
 
I feel for you, recently lost all my fish in my large 55g to columnaris and its heartbreaking.

Good luck with the rest of the fish.
 
ive just woke up and the bristlenose has passed. I figured that was comming. But the others seem to be ok with no signs of white spots. Im still working on getting the mp up. I have it to about 81 now but its getting there.
 
When i left for work i had gotten the temp up to 83.4, hopefully everything will be ok as i ride this out. So far so good. I also removed 5 gallons of the water so the hob filter would break the surface better and make up for the lost oxygen with the higher temps.... This is going to the the longest week/week and a half of my life....
 
update... so my tank is stabilized between 83 and 84 degrees. I woke up this morning to find another von rio tetra and another upside down cat had passed..... grrr.... im hoping that they just didnt like the temp change..... ehhh... grrr so fustrated.... unfortunately nothing i can do....
 
sorry 2 hear that m8 hopefully things will start turning for the better 4 ya :)


jen
 

Most reactions

Back
Top