Considering Scuds In Your Fish Aquarium?

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Aqua67

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Scuds In Your Aquarium - Why We Love Scuds

I came across this video while poking around online last night. This guy has kept scuds for a long time and he talks about the pros and cons. I love scuds too and always hope to have them in my fish aquariums. Have kept them for almost 20 years. I have colonies going in 6 different containers here.

I picked some hitchhikers the last time I bought a plant from the little lfs near me, and they've thrived in a small 13g tank that was home to a lone dwarf gourami, it has gravel and he used to hunt them all the time. Then I propagated some plant from that tank to my 29g one, and now I've seen scuds there too, though that one has sand, and they don't have any predators there, or at least I havent seen the neons or the cories try to get them. The ottos don'tseem the type. I guess scuds adapt to whatever. I'm not sure if lack of predators will eventually lead to overpopulation on the bigger tank. Will deal with it if the time comes.

When I found a stowaway amongst some newly-bought aquatic plants, I got rid of it almost immediately in fear that it would be harmful (much like the Planaria scare I had a month or two ago). Now that I'm finding out more about them, I kind of wish I kept it and started a scud culture. -_-

When I found a stowaway amongst some newly-bought aquatic plants, I got rid of it almost immediately in fear that it would be harmful (much like the Planaria scare I had a month or two ago). Now that I'm finding out more about them, I kind of wish I kept it and started a scud culture. -_-
I was about to disinfect the tank and decided to ask here, because at the time I didn't even know what they were. Once the good folks here replied, and even better; said it'd be good food for Mr blurami; I decided to keep them. They're entertaining to watch too, lol; look like microscopic shrimp and are always rushing around.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back