Congo Tetras

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

PereguineFalcon

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Well, as some of you know i purchase some Congo Tetras a few day ago. They are truly beautiful fish and i love them. I have 4 of them...1 male and 3 females. The problem is they are just hangin out in one corner of the tank when the lights are on so i don't get to see them out much. When the timer goes off and the lights switch off, they start to swim around the tank more, but still are reserved. Should i get some more so that there is a bigger school of them so they feel more comfortable? Or should i get another type of tetra/fish to make them feel more comfortable? Also...can anyone inform me about rainbows? They are really beautiful and i am intrigued by them...are they alright with tetras? is it bad to mix them with S. and C. American fish? Any help would be most readily accepted! Thankz to all!

Congo tetras are beautiful, but they are shy too. They need time to get used to the new place. A lot of plants helps make them feel secure; floating on the surface too to create some shady spots. A larger shoal would also be a good idea, since they find security in numbers, after all.

Congo tetras are best kept together with calm fish, so perhaps they are a bit worried about the kribs and the cichlids?

Good luck!

If they've only been in there a couple of days, I'd leave well alone and see what happens.

Most Rainbows actually prefer slightly harder water and with a higher pH then most trops, (there are a few soft acid rainbows as well). As long as you run you tank roughly neutral though, they are fine with tetras. Congo Tetras are from Central Africa by the way, (the Congo Basin), not from S. America.

Most reactions

Back