Congo tetras

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Olive

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I saw some congos the other day and fell in love :wub: ........but I wanna make sure that they are peaceful. What's your opinion of their behavior............will they get along with neons and rummies and the like?

Congos are one of my favourite tetras and i have always kept a small school of them, ive even had the pleasure of having them spawn for me. They are a peaceful somewhat skittish species that preffers a tank with thick plantings and subdued lighting. I dont know if i would trust them with neons but they would be fine with the rummies.

CFC said:
Congos are one of my favourite tetras and i have always kept a small school of them, ive even had the pleasure of having them spawn for me. They are a peaceful somewhat skittish species that preffers a tank with thick plantings and subdued lighting. I dont know if i would trust them with neons but they would be fine with the rummies.
thanks for the advice................

are we being careful with the neons 'cause the congos are bigger and might eat them?

Olive said:
are we being careful with the neons 'cause the congos are bigger and might eat them?
Got it in one, adult male congos can be up to 3 1/2-4" in length and i have seen them eat large feeder shrimps (ghost shrimp) without much problem, neons always seem to be very tempting to almost all fish as a quick snack

CFC said:
Olive said:
Got it in one, adult male congos can be up to 3 1/2-4" in length and i have seen them eat large feeder shrimps (ghost shrimp) without much problem, neons always seem to be very tempting to almost all fish as a quick snack
I think their colors just scream to some fish "EAT ME" I am really tasty.............

Well, after doing some research, we might start a discus tank. Do you think a few congos would do okay with them since they seem to prefer the same accomodations? Would they handle a temp of 84 or so all of the time? :dunno:
I just can't seem to have a tank of discus all by themselves, kinda looking for some other fish to go with them.............

we might start a discus tank. Do you think a few congos would do okay with them since they seem to prefer the same accomodations

Unfortunately not, the congos would be far too active for discus and they wouldnt enjoy the high temperature> However you already have the perfect discus companions in the rummynoses, corys also go well with discus.

Good tankmates for congos are kribs, other large to medium sized tetras, barbs and small synodontis catfishes.

Emperors are slightly more sexy IMO (in fish terms) than Congos, but they are kewl fish. :D

Hi Olive,

I have kept a shoal of Congos for sometime now and currently have a male and two females, they hardly bother any of the other fish and they have lived with Neons quite happily, however, this is my own experience so it may not always apply. The male Congos as you have said develop amazing colours when older. I would advise you to have some females though as the males tend to lose colour when they have nobody to impress. :)

Good Luck

Most reactions

Back