Congo Tetra Maturity

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

rrex386

Reaction score
Hi guys im new to using forums, i have recently bought a few Congo Tetras about 1inch for my 60 gallon planted tank, wondering how long it will take them to mature? Or when i can start to differentiate between males and females? I hear they r nippy at the plants would i stop that by feeding them a mixture of plant based foods aswell as bloodworms?

Hi guys im new to using forums, i have recently bought a few Congo Tetras about 1inch for my 60 gallon planted tank, wondering how long it will take them to mature? Or when i can start to differentiate between males and females? I hear they r nippy at the plants would i stop that by feeding them a mixture of plant based foods aswell as bloodworms?
6 months you should have them ready to breed. Males have extensions on their tails females don't. Just feed them well and their will be fine. Blood worm is good

I love Congo Tetras, one of my absolute favourite fish. At 1" long your Congo's are still very young. Congo fry grow incredibly quickly and will reach an inch in a matter of a few weeks. As itiwhetu said, around 6 months old you should see them reach breeding age and the males will grow slightly larger with beautiful tail fins. Females tend to stay a silvery gold rather than the gorgeous rainbow striping of the males.
I've looked for blue eye Congo for a while but never found any so I gave up.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back