Congo Puffer Spieces Tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

reeeedfish

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
What is a good US gallon size tank for ONLY 1 Congo Puffer. And what should the set up be. I'm new to puffers, Please Help Me.

A tank around 140 liters/37 US gallons should be the minimum

Hiya here is some info as found it: I would say 120 litre/ 30 us gallon. These get to roughly 5-6 inches. Need a really good depth of soft sand as will spend most the time buried, though it will vary from puffer to puffer. Tropical and needs good filtration. Leave open spaces for burial, and have bogwood/ pebbles and plants etc for comfortable surroundings. Tank mates are definate no no as these are lurkers and ambushers. Depending where they come from may have to be trained onto dead foods. Staples can include lance frozen fish, mussel, earthworms, river shrimp. Some feed feeder fish but from reading this is really not essential. Weekly water changes are essential for these messy fish and don't expect them to feed everyday due to inactivity. Hope this helps a little!

Hiya here is some info as found it: I would say 120 litre/ 30 us gallon. These get to roughly 5-6 inches. Need a really good depth of soft sand as will spend most the time buried, though it will vary from puffer to puffer. Tropical and needs good filtration. Leave open spaces for burial, and have bogwood/ pebbles and plants etc for comfortable surroundings. Tank mates are definate no no as these are lurkers and ambushers. Depending where they come from may have to be trained onto dead foods. Staples can include lance frozen fish, mussel, earthworms, river shrimp. Some feed feeder fish but from reading this is really not essential. Weekly water changes are essential for these messy fish and don't expect them to feed everyday due to inactivity. Hope this helps a little!

Thank you very much lilcamy931, so like 2-3 inches if sand or more? And do the congos get to know and interact with you or do they never recognize you at all?

And do the congos get to know and interact with you or do they never recognize you at all?

AFAIK, pufferfish are very inteligent and can definatly recognise you. My mate has Dwarf Puffers and a Green Spotted Puffer and everytime he walks past the tank, they dart to the front. He can also handfeed them. If anyone else walks past their tank, they hide at the back. :lol:
Adorable lil' things :wub:

As Carlovel1 has said, all puffers are intelligent water puppies. Some are more interactive than others. Congo miurus I am new to myself having only got mine recently and has already surprised me with how much he has been swimming about and inspecting. He does bury alot though as to be expected and one of the least interactive of my puffs. I have read though these guys as all other puffs learn who their owner is and when feeding time is!! Ive got about 3-4 inches of sand which seems a little too deep for my little 1.25 inch congo but sure it will be good as he grows :)

If you were to go for a 30gallon tank, there are plenty of other interactive puffs you can go for that are easier to train to frozen foods but always pros and cons for both.

Pros for a congo would be unusual and quite hard to come by fish, if you get the rare red colour morph all the better though they are all beautiful fish, interesting eating habits and looks, keeps quite self contained tank.

Cons for congo would be no tankmates (though pro as well ;)), may take a while to train to frozen and to begin with might have to get live food such as shrimp for it, not as active as some puffers and buries.

Other puffs to consider are when thinking 30g:
1. Figure 8s - these do need low end brackish but could keep two together, possibly with tankmates such as bumblebe gobies if like activity.(3 inch adult age)
2. Green spotted puffer - on own but needs high salinity as grows, very interactive (6 inch adult age)
3. Dwarf Puffers - otherwise known as pea puffs - these get about an inch and need 5g per puff so could have a community! Ensure to have good female to male ratio (quite a good starter puff as they feed on small foods such as bloodworm, brinehrimp, snails) Freshwater
4. Irrubesco - can be kept in pairs and possible communities. 2 inches adult size, need good female to male ratio.Freshwater
5. Abei - adult size 4 inches. These vary on activity ours is super hyperactive. Lone specimens only, freshwater

Those are just some food for thoughts! If you really are set on a congo (an just checking this is a mirus puffer? Just thought that some are known as congos are green spotted?) then do your research and go for it!

I started off with DPs and they were my first fish ever, really good to get to know the basics and really funny creatures. Later I have tried various puffs (including most on that list above) and settled on hairy, congo, fahaka and abei - they just seem the ones for me!

Did just think and sorry for not thinking earlier - congo puffers known as miurus are lurkers but also another puff that is known as congo spotted so dont want to confuse (cant remember which this nickname relates to) Have a google and see what you think?

p.s. if it is miurus - one word of advise NEVER handfeed!!! The others are less likely to nip

Yes, it is a miuruis. However, i am not setting the mirius into stone. What about the hairies? I dont want a group of puffers, I want 1 individual "pet"

Aw hairies are awesome and get to a good size too. To give an idea I have mine who is pretty much fully grown. He swims about quite a lot, has learnt to beg. I was lucky to get one with a lot of hair. Another good puff and quite hard to come by. All puffs make great underwater pets, I think it depends what activity levels after?

Suvatti, miurus, hairies, some target puffs and palembangs are ones that are less active generally. Some being nocturnal, some burrowers and some just generally shy. Though then again every puff is individual so one may be more outgoing than another.

Figure 8, Gsps, abeis, dwarf generally are the more outgoing. :)

Have a think how active, if size makes a difference and looks. I've four puffs all with different personalities and activity levels. With miurus can't comment on personality yet as still meshing! Super cute and some funny moments already:)

lilcamy, where did you buy your puffers? In the us its hard to find puffers.
any advice?

Ah I am in the UK but when looking found a lot of good sites in US that deliver (just cant think off top of head) Have a google. For 3 of mine they came from Wildwoods, UK and all delivered overnight in perfect condition, the hairy I was lucky that they happened to get one in by accident.

Have yu tried perhaps.. Aquabid or ThatPetPlace?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back