Confused! Advice Needed Please

star4

Fish Connoisseur
Joined
Mar 2, 2009
Messages
6,367
Reaction score
1
Points
38
Location
GB
I have two 15" common plecs and a 8" common plec all residing in a 4x2x2 tank (rescued the two biggies and was given the 8") I am running an external (fluval 405) and internal filter (Juwel Jumbo). I have managed to get them a bigger tank (5x2x2) which I am in the process of cleaning up.

When I move them I would like something else in the tank. but I am getting conflicting advice (the net and LFS). I was thinking of going for large cichlids, I have fallen for the Frontosa, but some sites say they will be ok some not? one fish shop told me "yeah about 6-8 frontosa's would be ok" ?????????

My other choice would be some silver sharks. I was thinking 3 but some "community creater" sites have shown I can have lots more?

I dont want to fill the tank with lots of other fish, just 2 or 3 middle - top dewlling fish, but I am unsure what to have, so any recommendations would be great.

At the end of the day I want what is best for my two big guys, they were in an awful state when I got them, and the one is so tame now he loves having his nose stroked and will turn over for his tummy to be tickled. (they also both come to the surface when I call thier names!! lol) I dont want to end up with some "nice fish" and upset my plecs. (I hope you understand what I am going on about lol).
 
I think Frontosa are from lake Tanganyika in Africa (correct me if i'm wrong) and therefore require quite different water setup to common plecs.
You'd be better off looking at south american cichlids:

Uaru A. for example would be a good choice. they would appreciate the large tank and tend to be quite peaceful. They also prefer to be in groups so get around 4 and they'll be fine.
 
Thanks for that :good: Frontosa's are out then. I just dont want to end up getting it wrong.
 
Thanks for that :good: Frontosa's are out then. I just dont want to end up getting it wrong.

well you're doing the right thing by asking before buying unlike alot of people!
could be worth posting in the south american cichlids section (if you're thinking of going down that route) as they will be able to provide you with more ideas about stock.
 
Thanks for the advice, have posted in the cichlid section and in the pleco section (covering all angles lol)
 

Most reactions

Back
Top