Complete Tank Strip Down To Clean?

Lizzie71

Fishaholic
Joined
Sep 23, 2007
Messages
475
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
GB
My smaller tank has a lot of algae, the gravel is grubby, and the glass has nasty black spots on it. I would really like to strip it down and clean it out completely, but I'm not sure if I will make things worse.

The two bettas in there are currently being treated for finrot, and I have had some trouble with water quality, probably due to overfeeding by my children :blush: I am worried that by removing the filter for a while during cleaning, and by cleaning out the gravel, I might make the bacteria situation worse.

And if I do clean it out, how would I go about it? I was going to put the fish in a bucket or similar and put the filter in too, but of course I can't do that as it is a divided tank with two bettas. I could put one in a breeding trap I guess, in the bucket, but that could end in disaster if he gets out. And if I put my shrimp in a bucket it will be a devil to catch them again :rolleyes:

Any suggestions?
 
My smaller tank has a lot of algae, the gravel is grubby, and the glass has nasty black spots on it. I would really like to strip it down and clean it out completely, but I'm not sure if I will make things worse.

The two bettas in there are currently being treated for finrot, and I have had some trouble with water quality, probably due to overfeeding by my children :blush: I am worried that by removing the filter for a while during cleaning, and by cleaning out the gravel, I might make the bacteria situation worse.

And if I do clean it out, how would I go about it? I was going to put the fish in a bucket or similar and put the filter in too, but of course I can't do that as it is a divided tank with two bettas. I could put one in a breeding trap I guess, in the bucket, but that could end in disaster if he gets out. And if I put my shrimp in a bucket it will be a devil to catch them again :rolleyes:

Any suggestions?

Vac the gravel very wel, once youve done that scrub down the glass sides with a rough spounge or something and itll be fine :P
 

Most reactions

Back
Top