Compatibility

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Bobby2415

Reaction score
I have a 3” Jack Dempsey and a 2” green terror in a standard 55 gallon at the moment. I like both fish but have taken a particular liking to the jd. If I were to get another same size jd, what would be the odds of the 3 getting along?

Your tank is a bit small for a Jack Dempsey, let alone having another big fish in there. Jack Dempsey cichlids grow to a foot long and can get pretty nasty. Green Terrors can easily reach 6 inches and are also real nasty.

Your tank is a bit small for a Jack Dempsey, let alone having another big fish in there. Jack Dempsey cichlids grow to a foot long and can get pretty nasty. Green Terrors can easily reach 6 inches and are also real nasty.
Yahhh i’m aware of how big they can get. At the size they are currently at, do you think it could work? I have a little bit of time before they hit their max size. Thanks for the input.

I wouldn't keep more than 1 Jack Dempsey per tank unless I was growing up a group of young fish in an attempt to get a breeding pair. Then I would put 10 young fish together and let them pair off. I would then remove each pr into their own tank.

If you have the 2 small fish in the tank they will be fine for 6 months or so but eventually they will need more space or to be separated.

No it will not work, to answer your question. As Colin noted, the tank is insufficient space for what you already have, so you should be looking at removing one of the fish very soon, not adding more to compound things.

I realize the fish may be juveniles now, but they are already developing their inherent traits and behaviours, and risking the fish in the hopes they may not be "normal" is not the way to go.

A 4-foot length tank, minimum 50 gallons, will house the JD alone. If you want a second, you need a much larger tank. And given the way these things frequently play out, I would not recommend acquiring the second JD unless you now have the large tank the two will need and should be in from day one.

I wouldn’t do it either. It’s a recipe for disaster.

I wouldn’t do it either. It’s a recipe for disaster.
Thanks. So I also have a 6” Oscar, 6” Pleco, and 4 giant danios (left of 9) in the tank as well. I’m taking the Oscar and pleco to my lfs today to free up some room. So I’m just going to have my juvenile JD and GT in the tank. Would you recommend to leave the danios, to maybe reduce possible aggression between the JD and GT? Or get rid of them as well?

The JD is what worries me. The danios may or may not help. @Colin T what do you think?

If they leave the danios always be then you can leave them.

Is there a way to post a picture from my phone? Every time I try it says the image is too large for the server.

9A44C9D6-5A41-4C58-B903-F7130E6DC096.jpeg

If the pictures are too big for the website, set the camera's resolution to its lowest setting and take some more. The lower resolution will make the images smaller and they should fit on this website. Check the pictures on your pc and find a couple that are clear and show the problem, and post them here. Make sure you turn the camera's resolution back up after you have taken the pics otherwise all your pictures will be small.

If the pictures are too big for the website, set the camera's resolution to its lowest setting and take some more. The lower resolution will make the images smaller and they should fit on this website. Check the pictures on your pc and find a couple that are clear and show the problem, and post them here. Make sure you turn the camera's resolution back up after you have taken the pics otherwise all your pictures will be small.
Figured it out thanks! So that is my current setup

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back