Compatibility

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Yes probably. They are all peaceful aren't they. The lampeyes do like really clean well aerated water though, with a bit of current so if you are planning on a really well stocked tank, maybe get something more robust

my tank will be 450l fully planted. Just waiting for it to arive and im checking possiable stock.

The tank will have a 1350lph filter so this should produce alot of water movement.

I do have hard water. Kh 14 GH 16. will this affect them. I do have cardinals in that water and they are fine.

Will CO2 injection affect them? If they like lots of O2.

They (Poropanchax normani) are a doddle to keep and breed, they like clean (waterchanges) well airated water with a good current.(as 4ftGuppy has already stated) CO2 lowers pH. I have a planted aquarium and if I was you I would be looking at Ps. annulatus rather than your original choice. This will take care of the upper water layers (surface species) but you will have to omit the strong water flow for these. You say you want to keep and possibly propagate aquarium plants hence the co2 system. Plants too have their requirements as regards to pH and hardness/temps etc so I suggest you do a little more research on the plant requirements and try to marry a killifish species to that.

Well iv got my tank up and running and al the plants are doing well.

Ph is is down to 7.1 so the literate substrate and aqua soil must be lowering it a little more.

The filter is 1350LPH and i also have a 600LPH (now) power head aimed at the surface to remove some surface scum i seem to be developing. I take it ap. normani will do fine in this tank. Power head is a must to remove surface scum as it traps CO2, other wise and CO2 level rocket towards the end of the day.

I'm not planning on highly stocking the tank. Just a shoal of about 50 cardinals them some killifish for a centre piece. Its a 100 US gallon tank so will not be to heavily stocked.

Would Fundulopanchax gardneri Survive as the colours look very appealing.

IMHO there is too much water movement for Fp. gardneri
Otherwise they wold be fine with the cardinals not sure about small normanii though.

OK ill give a few other sources a check for normani and flow rates just to be on the safe side.

Although the 1350LPh is from a 40cm long spray bar has additional holes so the current is not very strong from that. So its not like I'm using it as a power jet. How ever i do need that turn over for effective filtering ofc.

In your experience what " ideal" total flow rate your recommend? Are we talking Betta type flow rates here?

Dave if you are keeping killifish I would normally use sponge filters but seeing as you are keeping them in a fully planted aquarium your power filter should be fine.
Ditch the powerhead and get a surface skimmer such as
[URL="http://www.charterhouse-aquatics.co.uk/cat...mer-pi-972.html"]http://www.charterhouse-aquatics.co.uk/cat...mer-pi-972.html[/URL]
to remove surface scum as you call it.
Direct the spraybar downward toward the plant roots at the back of the aquarium.
Keep an eye on your CO2 diffusion and dont let it swing too far I use a solenoid valve coupled to a pH controll unit which means the controller is programmed to the correct pH level I want. A probe is attached to the controller, once CO2 diffussion reaches that level then the solenoid valve shuts down the system and opens again when the pH moves out of range.
Regards
BigC

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back