Compact Digital Cameras

steelhealr

Hug a mod Nano Reef Moderator
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
Ok...any digital cam experts out there? I'm doing my homework and checked out a few sites...Popular Photography...Cnet...etc. I think I have my choices narrowed down. Any thoughts?

1) Canon Powershot SD870 IS
2) Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ3

Other input is welcome. My last cam was a subcompact Optio S and it really tood great pix.

Thanks in advance.
SH

I put the below in reply to Tolak's question recommending the Fuji F31fd:

Possibly slightly higher in price, but the Fuji F31 (and I believe the F30) is the only compact camera to get the highly recommended award on the DPReview website. It has a lower number of pixels but has a fantastic lens and sensor which means that the pictures come out very good. Added to that is the camera's ability to take photos in low light situations very well, to quote from the aforementioned review:

Given that most 'average' casual snap shooters are likely to use their camera at (dimly lit) social occasions more than at any other time, this is a real, significant advantage; allowing flash-free photography without blur. More serious photographers will welcome a camera that brings the low light capabilities of a compact a step or two closer to those of most digital SLRs.

My best advice would be to check out the DPReview site for cameras you like the look of that are in your price range (and also check what they compare the cameras to) and then go and hold them in the shop and see how easy they are to use. That's how we chose our SLR, we liked the look of both the Canon and the Nikon D80, but holding them in the store the D80 just felt a nicer camera to use and we were more happy using it, so that's what we went with.

The review referred to above is here. It is interesting to note that they put the F31 up against SLR cameras and it still holds its own well (though obviously isn't as good).

andywg....what do you think of no image stabilization on this cam? SH

andywg....what do you think of no image stabilization on this cam? SH
It depends how shaky your hands are. I only find consistent shake problems when using the zoom in a darkish room with the flash off and nothing to rest my arms/hands on due to the longer exposure time.

Try looking at the DP review pages on the other cameras you like and see how they match up, then try taking a few photos with one in a shop, preferably in a darker area of one, to see how they come out.

Shake reduction is a bit over rated in compact digital cameras, think about it; you're old camera didn't have it and you said it took great pics. Now if you were talking an SLR with a 300 mm or so lens on it, then I'd tell you to look for shake reduction.

I like the Canon though, the Panasonics are nice and a lot of people seem very pleased with them. But from what I can see they suffer from a lot of digital noise compared to the competition. I'm very much a Pentax man and I normally hate Canon, but I used a friends Canon (it was probably the same model as this one) and it made some very nice pictures.

SLC

I looked at both cams today. They both feel comfortable and I love the large screens. Neither have a viewfinder but I don't mind that. Both have solid cases. The panasonic has a 10X zoom. There weren't any 'top rated' compact Pentax's but I'll look to see what they offer. Their Optio S made me happy, but, the technology is way improved. SH

i've never tried canon before so i can't comment on that. all my cameras i've ever use are either panasonic or casio, both are easy to use. my lastest one is the dmz fz50 it has 12x zoom and 10 mega pixels. but for a cheaper one the fz27 is actually much better to use. saying that, if you like diving, it is easiler to found housing for canon cameras.

Thanks for the input. I narrowed it to the Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ3 and the Canon Powershot sd870 IS. I went for the latter. The Panasonic was getting excellent ratings and the 10X Leica lens optical zoom was enticing but it was getting a long of flak on indoor photos. It also took movies in .mov format and the zoom didn't function during video clips. The latter was just getting overall great reviews and was reportedly superior on low light shots. I'll let you know.
Thanks for your input. SH

I selected the Canon SD870. I love it so far. I think it came down to whether or not you want a 10X optical zoom. SH

I have the Sony DSC-N2. 10.1 Megapixel, Carl Zeiss lens, 3.0 x optical zoom, massive 3" touch screen.

I think it's great and would recommend it to anyone. I know this is too late, but maybe if anyone else is considering a camera, it would be worth a look.

Cheers

BTT

Most reactions

Back