Community Tank Upgrade

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

qball922

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Bought myself a nice 100 gallon tank with lights, 4 heaters, 2 marineland magnum 350's, and some drift wood for 150$. The miracles craigslist can work..... Anywho, ive never done a move this dramatic. Ive gone from a 20 to a 40 (which is where i stand now), but this 40 to 100 change is scaring me.. Obviously im not trying to lose my stock and i feel a move like this cant just be done in 2 days like i did with my last change. Cycling tips? Should i drip acclimate the fish into the new one? Any other tips are greatly appreciated.

well, given the new tank is bigger than you would have to cycle it normally if im not mistaken,unless the new filter had meia and youve saved it, theres no way you could use 40 gallon  media to jumo start 100 gallon.if you 

So taking my cycled hob filter and popping it into the 100 wouldnt be an option? Anyone have any suggestions as to how slowly i should move the fish in? I have 1 paradise fish, 1 rb shark, 1 zebra loach, 2 kribs, 2 BHT's, 6 tiger barbs, and 4 rosy barbs.

You could definitely use the old filter media in the new set up, just place the media into the magnums, and run the filter media with the new media you have for the other magnum.

All you need to do is get the new tank  set up, gravel, decor, plants , water in and set the temperature at the same as your old tank. Leave this running for a day to get the water up to the right temperature (I would even stick half the media from the HOB into the magnums to get it kick started).

The next day, flip all your live media into the magnums, and as long empty the majority of the old tank water into the new tank. This will lower the amount of water in the old tank, doing 2 things, 
1) making the water level lower so you can catch those crafty fish!
2) Add some of the same water into the new tank so give it (albeit) a small amount of bacteria that is present in the water column and even out the water chemistry.

then gently add the fish into the new tank (As long as their similar temperatures)

Your water will be the same as the old tank as you get it from the same source (i.e. tap), it would be a different story if you was to move locations and kH, pH were greatly different, 

I have used this method going from 60l to 100litre, then 100l into my 400l and everything has gone smoothly

Amen ^
Exactly what I did. Foolishly kept the tanks though o_O

Basically what I did with my old tank. Guess I freaked myself out cuz it's a bigger jump. Thanks for the input! Much appreciated.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back