Community Marine Fish Suggestions

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

There is absolutely no need to have a 6,7,8ft tank for juvenile fish
I agree with you on this point, but you must realize that buying a ten foot tank is easier said than done, and we get TONS of people on here who "thought they would" be able to get a huge tank on a dime. If you can truly get this huge tank when the time comes, buy whatever you want. If there is even a hint of uncertainty, stick with smaller fish. There are plenty of aggressive or predatory fish that can be kept in a smaller tank for even their entire lives, and you can buy the biggest fish if you get the new tank.

Also, a few large tetraodonts (undulate/clown triggers especially) that seem frustratingly adept at de-finning and de-eyeing lionfish. Perhaps a lionfish and a small group of batfish or heniochus, plus your green spot puffers, would be better for this tank. Choose wisely, 'cause it will suck if in the future you have to part with one or more of them.

Umm, Try and keep up mate! ;)

If you'd bothered to back-read then you would know that purchasing a larger tank would be absolutely no problem when the time comes. Please do not treat me like some crazy 'keep as much as I can' youth!
I also keep two types of Piranha and many different types of turtle... I always buy new tanks for them when their current ones are outgrown. There is absolutely no need to have a 6,7,8ft tank for juvenile fish - they'll look lost! :)

Sam
And how will you know when the time comes? Will your fish put a sign out?

When it comes to big fish, first buy the tank, then get the fish. We can all say we will get a bigger tank when necessary, all the RTCs that are given back to stores are testament to that. If I had a quid for every one who comes on here boasting about "getting a big tank is no problem" who then didn't in the end, I'd be rich enough to have almost every frogfish there is.

Sorry "mate", until I see a big tank, I will recommend for the tank you have. :)

Umm, Try and keep up mate! ;)

If you'd bothered to back-read then you would know that purchasing a larger tank would be absolutely no problem when the time comes. Please do not treat me like some crazy 'keep as much as I can' youth!
I also keep two types of Piranha and many different types of turtle... I always buy new tanks for them when their current ones are outgrown. There is absolutely no need to have a 6,7,8ft tank for juvenile fish - they'll look lost! :)

Sam
And how will you know when the time comes? Will your fish put a sign out?

When it comes to big fish, first buy the tank, then get the fish. We can all say we will get a bigger tank when necessary, all the RTCs that are given back to stores are testament to that. If I had a quid for every one who comes on here boasting about "getting a big tank is no problem" who then didn't in the end, I'd be rich enough to have almost every frogfish there is.

Sorry "mate", until I see a big tank, I will recommend for the tank you have. :)

Please do not patronise me. You might think you're sounding smart but I consider your replies moronic. Why don't you simply read the question, take note of other people's helpful and constructive replies / advice and either a) Add to something positive to it or b.) Keep your unhelpful, sarcastic and childish 'Fish Police' comments to yourself? ;)
I am not some spotty-faced school kid who dreams of Finding-sodding-Nemo everynight! - I am an ADULT with the living space and income to buy a larger tank when necessary. I am more-than-familiar with keeping 'tank-busters' (such as my Piranha for instance) and do not need the 'fish to put out a sign' to realise it's time for an upgrade... I mean what kind of childish comment was that??

I was actually asking for an idea of a community group - Such as will these fish get along / munch through corals / Bully / Get chased away from food etc

Lyden...

Thank you for your constructive reply :) Would you say Lionfish (Dwarf or otherwise) would get a hard time from a Trigger? I have read that suitable tankmates for Lionfish are Triggers or Tangs?

Sam :)

Hi lyden, i also have a large volitans living with my clown trigger, they seem to respect each others space at the moment, how long this will last, who knows? as we all know, one of the best ways to maintain harmony in a system is to ensure the inhabitants are never hungry!

Hi lyden, i also have a large volitans living with my clown trigger, they seem to respect each others space at the moment, how long this will last, who knows? as we all know, one of the best ways to maintain harmony in a system is to ensure the inhabitants are never hungry!

Hi Snowclown,

I was just wondering if you had ever kept Trigger fish other than the Clown? What's your opinion on them (other than they will eventually need a huge tank) and how long have you had him/her?

Have you a fish-only set up for these?

Hi sam, yes i have kept a picasso trigger before, these and the clown are as different as chalk and cheese, the former being suitable, in my opinion, for a community set-up (some keepers even have them in a reef) as for the clown, i think you have heard enough about this fish the past few days :lol: i have had mine several years now.

Hi again sam,
Sorry i forgot to answer one of your questions! I run a system known as FOWLR, the live rock helping with the filteration, but the main focal point being the fish.

Hi Snowclown,

Thank you for your reply. I'm not too fussed as what to go for between the Picasso or the Clown Trigger - They're both stunning fish! I would to have been able to keep Corals in the tank also but I guess you cant have your cake and eat it. :rolleyes:
What did you used to keep with your Picasso may I ask?

Is FOWLR similar to the 'Berlin' method?

Cheers, Sam

Please do not patronise me. You might think you're sounding smart but I consider your replies moronic. Why don't you simply read the question, take note of other people's helpful and constructive replies / advice and either a) Add to something positive to it or b.) Keep your unhelpful, sarcastic and childish 'Fish Police' comments to yourself? ;)

Still no answer on how you will know. At what point will you upgrade this tank? How will you plan for the move? Shifting large fish, especially large nasty fish that like to have your finger off (clown trigger) or large fish with venomous spines (volitans) is best avoided wherever possible.

I am sorry I am being moronic by pointing out some flaws in your thinking, but seeing as this is a public forum, I will continue to add them. :D

I say it again (and I do live by this) get the tank, then stock it. If you have no problem doing so, why not do it now? Patience is the best attribute of any SW keeper, and many fish do not like being moved from an established tank to a newly set up larger one. But what would I know about keeping SW fish, I'm just a moron right? :D

I am not some spotty-faced school kid who dreams of Finding-sodding-Nemo everynight! - I am an ADULT with the living space and income to buy a larger tank when necessary. I am more-than-familiar with keeping 'tank-busters' (such as my Piranha for instance) and do not need the 'fish to put out a sign' to realise it's time for an upgrade... I mean what kind of childish comment was that??

So exactly how will you know? You still haven't explained. For such a childish comment you still haven't been able to answer it... ;)

Hi sam, yes i have kept a picasso trigger before, these and the clown are as different as chalk and cheese, the former being suitable, in my opinion, for a community set-up (some keepers even have them in a reef) as for the clown, i think you have heard enough about this fish the past few days :lol: i have had mine several years now.

I wouldn't recommend a Picasso for a community tank

From my experience while they are cute when small they get aggressive as they grow and are a danger to inverts & other fish

On the bright side they are unlikely to touch corals

Andywg,

You seem to be losing sleep over this. JUVENILE fish DO NOT need tanks suitable for adult specimens until they are ADULT. Just like my Piranha, when they look like they require a larger tank they will be given a larger tank!

The reason why I do not simply buy another 6 or 7 ft tank is because one is not needed yet! - There is absolutely no point preparing, heating and maintaining that much water if the fish are still small - Surely you have the intelligence understand that??

Having viewed some of your replies to other posts, you strike me as someone who enjoys the sound of their own voice... someone who likes to nit-pick with other people's opinions and views and probaby has some social issues to contend with. What a shame.
Why don't you print out a couple of pages from the forum and take them to bed tonight for a read? - Have a look at other people's attitudes and responses and compare them with your own.

I think it's best if I simply ignore your posts from now on.

Moving on.

STD...

Would you recommend any Trigger for a community tank?

Hi sam,
It,s glad to see you have started a heated debate with your forum :D when i had my picasso, i kept a copperband butterfly, snapper, small lion, yellow tang, mandarin, damsels, etc, with no problems whatsoever. I hope you havent been put-off by the remarks about the clown trigger( and you obviously have the space a resources)then PLEASE get one :good: remember i am only speaking from my own experience.
One other point (if i dare mention it) is the inch per gallon formula for working out the tank sizes for marine, is not the same as for fresh water (SO NO FLAGS NEEDED) :p

STD...

The best IMO is the Blue Throat - reef safe and doesn't get as big

Niger Triggers are also good but get bigger

Hi STD,

According the hits I received back from the good folk of Google, there seems to be quite a variety of Niger Trigger ( they seem to differ in colour anyway) - Is this correct? Also, are Nigers Reef-safe?

The Blue Throat look quite nice... something worth considering! Thanks :)

Snowclown..
I see you kept a Copperband... I'e heard these are a pain to feed? True?

Andywg,

You seem to be losing sleep over this. JUVENILE fish DO NOT need tanks suitable for adult specimens until they are ADULT. Just like my Piranha, when they look like they require a larger tank they will be given a larger tank!

The reason why I do not simply buy another 6 or 7 ft tank is because one is not needed yet! - There is absolutely no point preparing, heating and maintaining that much water if the fish are still small - Surely you have the intelligence understand that??

Having viewed some of your replies to other posts, you strike me as someone who enjoys the sound of their own voice... someone who likes to nit-pick with other people's opinions and views and probaby has some social issues to contend with. What a shame.
Why don't you print out a couple of pages from the forum and take them to bed tonight for a read? - Have a look at other people's attitudes and responses and compare them with your own.

I think it's best if I simply ignore your posts from now on.

Moving on.

STD...

andy, although i agree with you in some parts here, like upgrading is easier said than done etc, but what punkture said, i really cant help but agree.... I highlighted the part....

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back