community fish?

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Short1

Reaction score
Hey all, I have a 55gal cichlid tank that i've had setup for about 2 years. I'm running an aquaclear 500gph filter, and 200w heater. I love the setup and the fish but for awhile i couldn't keep any more than 6 cichlids, if i had 9, three would get killed, if i had 8, two would get killed and so on. I do regular water changes and check my levels weekly so i know its them killing each other. I also have a catfish(not sure the species), a polypterus, and most recently a spotted puffer. In the last week 2 more were killed so i'm ready to give up on the cichlids and go community! But i don't really know anything about other fish. I've been checking out the lfs to get an idea of what i'd want to stock it with, but not a clue what could go together...i liked the cherry barbs, gobys, neons, angel fish, gourmis, even some guppies, but again i don't know what can go together or if any of these will coexist with what I already have. Nor do i know the amount i can stock it with. Are there any colorful community fish besides the ones i listed that i might be missing? Maybe a website with pictures of different community fish or something...as you can tell i'm lost as to what to do...i thought about making it saltwater but not sure of the expense or what other equipment i would need. :dunno: Well i guess i'll shutup for nowlol and see what the responses are. THANKS, sorry so long!

You dont have enough tank space for other fish, the cichlids have claimed there part of the tank and will not let anything else come into it, cichlids are very terrtorial. What cichlids do you have?

The opinion I get from your post is that you no longer want cichlids....at all....am i correct?

If so, another colourful fish is the platy....They come in many different colours (red, yellow, blue, green, white, red with black tail, yellow with black tail, orange....or any combinations of these)....only problem with platies is that they will populate your tank very quickly!!!

With a 55gal tank some angels would do well.....be careful of angels and guppies together as angels, being cichlids, can nip the fins of the longer finned guppies. Also, if you keep angels with neons the neons may "disappear". Guppies are nice too....many different colours but again can populate your tan very quickly!!!

Gouramies would be nice as well...there are lots of different types....

The possibilities are endless!!! Your main problem is going to be limiting the fish you want as most "community" fish will live happily together!!!

GOOD LUCK!!!!

Angels are awsome. But there little devils too. They learn to recognize you, and they swim up and beg for food, just like other cichlids do. But are much more peaceful. A school of rainbows would be great too. Rainbows get very colourful as they mature, and are quite active. Just keep a close watch if you put them with angels. They sometimes think the long flowing tail of an angelfish is food. But if you started them with a baby angel it would probably not be a problem.

Hi, thanks for the replies! I'd like to keep cichlids...if they were a more peaceful fish...i've got a zebra, auratus, and i'm not sure of the other 2. I think i might be getting some fry soon! So i'll have to wait a little while before doing anything. I was thinking about a couple angel fish but what are rainbows? If i were to get some barbs or platies, or whatever i choose, how many in a group should i get or doesn't it really matter? Also how many would i be able to keep in my tank. I don't want it too stocked getting dirty quick but i don't want it to look empty either. Sorry about the questions but don't know where else to go. THANKS!

Short :beer:

here is a link rainbow fish online this has lots of good info and pics of rainbows. i just got some bosemanis. they are really beautiful. and they get along with my angels very well.

Most reactions

Back