Reaction score
I have a 50gal fresh water tank.
Q1- I want 3 of these guys are they compatible with:
pearl gouramis
kuhlis loaches
bristle nose plec & peppermint plec
rasboras
danios

Q2- Do you have to add salt to tank to keep these cats alive, and if so can the other fish I want to buy live in brackish water.

any and all suggestions would help. :dunno:

Answers to both questions are no.

Columbian shark catfish, Arius seemani, are brackish/marine dwelling fish that only enter freshwater to spawn, the small juveniles sold in FW in stores should be moved into brackish water as soon as possible after purchase.

The levels of salt required to keep brackish fish are far to high to keep freshwater fish in, a brackish tank with a SG of 1.005, which is considered very light brackish, takes about 6 tsp per gallon in most tapwater to create, columbian shark cats should be kept in water with a SG or 1.010 minimum once they have grown to 4" and over.

columbian shark cats should be kept in water with a SG or 1.010 minimum once they have grown to 4" and over.

I'm not sure that that is true for all fish. I've been keeping mine in 1.005 and they're now about 5". They act, if anything, lazy. Except for feeding time.

Obviously every fish is slightly different but in my experience fish that move in and out of full sea water on almost daily basis like shark cats, monos, scats and morays always do much better when kept in water at the higher end of the brackish scale. Our 4" shark cat is constantly active and always looking for food.

Mine are ~6" now. Anything guppy size or smaller is lunch. They get to 10" so anythng smaller then a molly should probably have to go. Basically, anything they can fit into their mouths, they will.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back